FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Crankcase Inspection - Smoker...

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Nick55KH

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Crankcase Inspection - Smoker...

Hi Guys,
so Wilco and I pulled the KH gear side apart... So a new issue/topic is at hand: there was no crankcase bearing spring that sits behind the oil pump spiral gear (part # 24699-54). What exactly does this spring do? Does it set the float of the spiral gear to the oil pump gear? Could it possibly effect breathing (given the spiral gear might be falling backwards and ultimately changing the breather timing – even thought the gears/cams are all synced correctly to their timing marks).

Any ideas on this? Anyone an expert on the spiral gear spring/float and breathing of these old oil pumps? I noticed the WL's uses a similar spring but with an older part # ie. -37

We've been trying to fix this smoking for 22 years: H-E-L-P. :cry:

Nick.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Crankcase Inspection - Smoker...

Hi Nick,

Part # 24699-54 is not the spring clip that goes on the shaft,this one that goes in the roller bearing location but I can't remember how it fits in there!!!

The one you need is 24701-54, smaller diameter, sits in a groove on the shaft and there's a spacer between it and the roller cage, 24692-54.

The KH set up is not like the WL or the K that use a long spacer, 24696-39, with a proper spring, 24699-37, on top of it...

But I don't remember the oil pump drive gear sitting directly on the spring clip on the KH, it sits at the end of the splines...

Patrick
<<

Nick55KH

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:06 am

Hi Patrick, we are getting a little confused... given that the parts list covers all: K, KK, KH, Sportster etc. we can't figure out what is missing. To confirm we are only interested in what sits directly behind the oil pump drive gear 26318-37, reading from your message, if it's not a spring, then what stops the oil pump drive gear sliding back toward the inner case and falling out of time? Its position directly effects the oil pump breather timing mark. Our gear is currently drifting a little which makes us think our breather timing is not working right and in-turn maybe our legacy issue with smoke/crank-case pressure.

Best,

Nick.
<<

wilko

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Clear as mud Nick. Just give up and get a pommy bike! Two dead Harley's and two going Matchlesses in my shed. What does that tell you!
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi Nick,

Did some photos...

Top left arrow: spring clip in its groove, next one, spacer
Bottom arrow, shows spiral gear butted on the end of its splines, nowhere near the spring clip.

Groove on shaft for spring clip

Shown as when assembled on cases, the outer bearing race is the wrong way round on the photo, but it should be as flush as that in reality when turned round...

Patrick
<<

RUBONE

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Clear as mud Nick. Just give up and get a pommy bike! Two dead Harley's and two going Matchlesses in my shed. What does that tell you!

That your skills are lacking?? :P
come on wilko, you have lots to comment on for others issues, what is up with your stuff!! Or perhaps you could trade them for a trike!
Robbie
<<

RUBONE

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice pictures Patrick. That should help him.
Robbie
<<

wilko

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:38 pm

You really got it out for me Rubone! 40 years of more mechanical experience than you'll ever see. I can't be expected to go back in the past 20 years ago and know what someone else put together.As for Trikes, what an abomination! Completely pointless mode of transport when a car takes up the same space!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:11 am

I took the liberty of brightening the pics up for more clarity. Pa

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/timingshafta.jpg/]Image[/URL]

<<

Nick55KH

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 am

Thanks very much Patrick, and thanks for going to the extra trouble with the images... The spring clip groove now makes real sense... I'm worried that mine seems to be drifting much farther than would be possible from these pics... Is there any way I'd have an early k style shaft... I'm mean you have definitely helped me date the bike previously as late 54... It's KH for sure but that oil pump drive gear 26318-37 is really sliding a long way on mine?

I've ordered the clip so I guess that will be next – eek. Thanks again,

Nick.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Nick,

If you've got the groove, it's definitively KH and post 54. It might look like you've got loads of play there, but once you fit the timing gear, it's all together.

K one has no groove, and is very similar to WL set up, proper spring between worm gear and rides around bearing spacer, photo of XLRTT inners (ignore the congeeled castor oil...), racers kept the K set up for some reason...:

Patrick

Return to K-Models