FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Adjusting pushrods

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

celticdodge

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Adjusting pushrods

OK,I know some of you guys are gonna laugh but the other I day I went into a new Harley dealer and saw some of the new sportsters and could not figure out how the pushrods were adjusted being that you could not get access to the tappets due to the one piece pushrod covers.Guess I need to get out more,but really ,How do you adjust the pushrods on the new sportsters.Try to control your laughing.Thanks. :D :D
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: Adjusting pushrods

Guess how you get into the gearbox as well !!!
<<

jib

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 am

they is hydraulic tappets and all set up on the design board. i.e no adjustment necessary .

pa why would anyone want to go in the gearbox? if it dont leak? :lol:
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm

The gearbox does wear out though and most times sooner than the engine. :wink:
<<

celticdodge

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks guys for the reply's,for me ignorance is bliss.These newfangled things are similar to the new vehicles with the computers where entire component change is the norm of the day rather than repairing or adjusting an item.I'll try and not venture into another Harley dealer for another decade or two as it often causes my mental instability to rise to the surface.Oh yeah while I think about it I almost passed out when I saw a three dollar tee shirt with a Harley logo going for about forty dollars,Man things have really gone up since 1969.Thanks again and glad you guys were able to subdue your laughing. :D :D
<<

Kev UK

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:20 pm

celticdodge wrote:These newfangled things are similar to the new vehicles with the computers where entire component change is the norm of the day rather than repairing or adjusting an item.

Ain't it just. But having said that, the 2004-on rubbermount Sportsters are no different to a lot of Japanese stuff inasmuch as the cases have to be split to access the gearbox internals.

Face it, those 5-speed clusters in the current Sporty range are a helluva lot more resilient than the old Ironhead trannies, even though the latter didn't really deserve its reputation. Having said that I got two old Ironhead cases in my junk pile that i got out of a job lot of parts, and both of them have a dirty great big hole where the transmission's come out for a bit of fresh air. You don't see that happen on Evo Sportsters.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!

Return to Sporties