FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Clutch push rod bearing

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Keith

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 am

Clutch push rod bearing

I have a clutch push rod bearing from a WLA I would like to refurbish.
I haven't pulled it apart yet, but, Is there a kit or a replacement bearing available to replace the old gritty one I have.
I don't like to scrap parts if I don't have to.
I found one on fleabay, but how do cylindrical rollers work revolving around 360 degrees, in a thrust application??
Shouldn't the profile of the roller elements be conical, so there is a total rolling action, rather than a rolling and sliding action.
Surely these bearings would recieve little grease, due to the zerk or alemite grease nipple on the clutch operating arm.
During maintenance, some folk would say, yep, I'll have to get around to doing something about that grease nipple, or yep, I'll have to remember to locate one of those special grease guns, and the bearing would suffer, not that they are a high duty cycle item.
Just a thought. Thanks always.
regards Keith
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:12 am

Re: Clutch push rod bearing

Keith....The bearing is set up as a thrust bearing. The inside of the outer face is the the thrust bearing race that the clutch release lever fulcrum pushes against. The cup only keeps the bearings in line with that race. The grease fitting on the clutch release lever does not grease that race. It only greases the face of the race for the clutch release lever fulcrum. Below is how I grease the bearings. May I suggest you soak the assembly in solvent until you get all of the grit and dirt out of it and then grease it like i do. Pump the grease in while rotating the rod until it pushes out all around the cup. Pa

<<

Keith

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks Pa; That answers my question precisely. Also the photo is appreciated.
Yes I understand the clutch lever fulcrum pushes against the outside face of the bearing.
I didn't know that the grease nipple is only for lubricating this area, and not inside the bearing.
A good flush with gasoline should do it. Then I can feel if the bearing is U/S.
I'm guessing there would be a series of uncaged balls inside.
Cheers Keith
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 am

Yes...the ball bearings are loose inside. If the cleaned up assembly does not feel super sloppy and I do mean super sloppy because the bearings are not a tight tolerance fit, a good heavy coating of grease will suffice, as long as the ball bearings do not feel like chipped up stones rolling around inside. ;) If by chance you find the rod assembly to be useless, Colony makes a real good assembly and you can pump the grease into theirs from a hole they put into the side of the cup area wall. Other aftermarket assemblies I have seen, have no grease provisions incorporated into theirs.
<<

George Greer

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Pa, Keith..

I recently overheard a converstation with a fella who says that:

When he does wheel bearings (for cars), he heats the grease up a bit on a hot plate, then drops the clean bearings in the semi-liqufied grease, ........then lets it cool down. Fish out the 100% filled bearing out. Done.

Ever heard of that trick?

George
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Why yes I have George. I forgot all about it until you mentioned the trick. Before I owned a grease packing tool for automotive wheel bearings, I loaded the lube that way. Since the woman would not permit me the use of her stove top I tried holding a small torch on an old pot to do it. I did not always heat it up slow enough and set the grease on fire a few times. I have done chains the same way. If I were to do the clutch push rod bearing, I think I would allow the grease to reharden before I pulled the assembly from it. I think the liquified grease would run right back out if it were pulled back out right away.
<<

George Greer

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Pa,

I mentioned that he lets the grease cool down and reset/thicken back up...... before fishing out the bearing.

George
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 am

Now ya see how long me memory really is George. :lol:

Return to 45 Flatties