Engine Work, Reamer Needed

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:52 am

Engine Work, Reamer Needed

Sharp Reamer Needed
Figured I get at least a couple responces placing this in this category.
Dumb Pa misplaced his 12132-36 oem reamer and is in need of one at the present. Anyone have an nos one for sale or a good sharp used one ? If not for sale ....for rent or lend ? New # is 94811-36. Thanks, Pa
<<

RUBONE

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Engine Work, Reamer Needed

Paps,
What is the application?
Robbie
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Robbie.... I need it for a 45 crankcase rear exhaust cam bushing and oil pump drive shaft bushing. It is a two step reamer. It enters via the gear cover feed pump surface then on into the crankcase, reaming both bores simultaneously. I guess the same reamer is used on Big Twin as well. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 pm

While looking up a reamer number, that I posted a request for info on in another thread, I was looking through the later servicar service manual and read the latter version procedure for line reaming the pump drive bushing to it's related crankcase bushing. This is the only service manual I found this in. It states in essence that if the factory step reamer tool is not available, one may use a 25/32" expansion reamer and an 11/16" expansion reamer. It also gives the decimal one needs to hold. This puzzles me though. How can an actual line reaming between the two bushings be obtained using such reamers ? My one reamer which incorporates a larger shell reamer is 11/16" on the small diameter. If I purchase a 25/32" expansion reamer and ream the pump bushing first, making certain I ream the bore square to the pump gasket face, I should be able to quickly turn a pilot to fit both the finished pump bushing bore and the reamer flute, thus providing an accurate line reaming of the crankcase bushing. Any thoughts on this possible plan ??
<<

44dwarf

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I'd think you'd be better off if you don't have the two step unit to ream the deeper bushing then use a piloed reamer for the bigger outer bushing thus the outer is inline with the inner.

MSC has a good selection.
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

44dwarf wrote:I'd think you'd be better off if you don't have the two step unit to ream the deeper bushing then use a piloed reamer for the bigger outer bushing thus the outer is inline with the inner.

MSC has a good selection.

Are you saying ream the crankcase smaller bushing and then pilot the gear cover reamer by that bushiing ? If yes...that would work well but I would have to obtain a reamer the size the gear cover bushing needs to be, with a pilot twice as deep as the gearcover bushing. I would need the pilot to start into the crankcase reamed bushing long before the gear cover reamer made contact with the large bushing.
<<

44dwarf

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes Pa you got it right , not sure if they have long pilots tho.
Hum....you might be better off to log of this site and go clean the shop.... :oops:
Nah someone heres got to have one they'll loan you.

"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Pa,
Dont feel bad I lost a complete DLX 128 in my shop.
Dusty
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:48 am

I found a solution to my delema. :D I've made a positioning square bore pilot for reaming the oil pump bushing. This tool will rest over both the oil pumps bushing face and oil pump gasket surface. I will ream that bushing first. I've also roughed out an additional pilot to fit the bore of the newly reamed oil pump bushing. This pilot looks the a top hat. The flange of the top hat rests against the face of the oil pump bushing and pump gasket surface. The smaller outside diameter of the top hat fits the bore of the newly reamed oil pump bushing. The inside diameter of the top hat insures the case bushing reamer is inline with the case bushing. The length of the top hat pilots smaller diameter and bore, reaches way into the gear cover and darn near right up against the case bushing.

Return to 45 Flatties