FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Paint removal

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Psycobilly

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Paint removal

Well, after the long break away from the net, it is time to get started again. Basically, where I left off. My servicar mechanical brake rear end. Covered in a little rust, and black paint, l plan to strip the pumpkin, to raw aluminum. My question to the professionals here is, chemical stripper, or sandpaper and elbow grease? Taking into account that aluminum is porous, I don't wanna drive any chemicals into the metal, but would sanding drive paint into the pours as well? Thanks in advance........ PSYCO
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Paint removal

Hey Bro.....did you consider bead blasting the paint away ? Pa
<<

Psycobilly

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Paint removal

HAHA! No Paul, that didn't even cross my mind bro. After losing everything I owned but, well my butt, and my scoot. A bead blasting didn't enter my mind. I'm kinda starting over. My scoot has a new home, a roomy garage that I am cleaning out. Tools and supplies, well it's back to basics right now. My only two options are the chemical concoction, or sandpaper.

The only shop tools I have now are, a bench grinder/polishing wheel, drill press, and band saw. So limited, I am. Starting over is tough, but I have a lot of time on my hands, and I am eager to move forward.

Return to 45 Flatties