FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Indian Carb sideplay

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

flathead1943

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Indian Carb sideplay

Good afternoon folks. New guy on the site. I have a 47 chief new ground up restoration 500 miles on it( bought that way). My question is i can grab my carb and can wiggle it back and forth about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. normal ??? The motor is a 74 with bonni cams. It has a hard time idling especially went cold it alway " hunts" i have to constantly have to keep reving it up it really don't want to idle . My 43 harley also a flathead purrs like a kitten even cold when started. I was watching some video on youtube and the guys start their chief and they also purr right away. You think those victrex peek seal would help / cure this. Thanks a million Indian Frank
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Indian Carb sideplay

The carb should be solid. Check the manifold nuts and carb mounting screws. Then do Cottens pressure test http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html . Not doing a pressure test is asking for a piston with a cute little hole in it. I just had a fleebay find that pressure checked good brake out leaking after a couple of hundred miles, they had riveted the nipple with a 6 penny nail. You cant trust this old stuff that been used and abused 60 or 70 years. Gotta be ever watchfull.
Dusty-Dave
<<

flathead1943

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Ok will do the psi check . Where did Coten get that plate or its homebuilt. Looks simple to make. Now that i looked at it more closely this morning there is black carbon on the rear manifold so i'm gessing its leaking there. Is it worth it to upgrade to the new material ??? Thanks i will keep you guy posted Frank
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm

He made the plate. I use a rubber plug and a hose clamp. The peek seals are better if you re-use brass be sure to annieal(SP?) them. If your manifold has any wear where the rings set having Cotten turn it and cut seals to fit is the only way to go.
Dusty
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Frank!

The testplate in the article was one of a batch I produced for Michael Breeding, but basically you could cut one out of wood if you like. Regulated pressure from a compressor is more important.

Beware, however, that testing the individual nipples into each cylinder can only be accomplished with a large stopper or cork, as the seam between nipple and casting will be obscured by the nut.

Carbon in the rear cylinder exhaust suggests the leak is to the front.

PEEK seals are a blessing of the spaceage, (such as Moldthread's http://enfieldracing.com/8.html) but beware that the manifold must be pristine, and of perfect OEM dimension,.. or reconditioned for custom-cut seals.
They must be a very tight fit upon the spigots, and any blemishes upon the spigots will severely reduce their re-usability. With pristine, un-blemished, round and true spigots, they will last indefinitely.
Considering the expense of the material, that is a significant concern.
Still, it is worth the update to avoid over-torquing the nipples, and achieve a seal that is manageable with routine re-torques. Brass work-hardens, and is un-forgiving. It's just all the Founders had.

And thanks Dave,
but bubble-testing should be credited to Heron of Alexandria, who probably recorded it around 150 AD!

....Cotten
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey Cotten,
Is the linkert float that I broke while tightening the screw under warranty? :lol: LOL Next time you get a chance better make me another it's been holding together with Gorilla glue for a month or so.
Dusty
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 am

Dave!

Please email your address to liberty@npoint.net, and I can get one into the mail immediately.
Of course, you could always drill a hole opposite the broken one, and file the slot.

I have broken quite a few myself.
"Pliobond" contact cement seems to still resist P4gas!

....Cotten
<<

flathead1943

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

002 (480x640).jpg
This is what i came up with 1/4 heavy duty plastic ( puck board) air fitting and part of an inner tube . I will be trying as soon as my new peek seals come in more to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

flathead1943

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Carbon in the rear cylinder exhaust suggests the leak is to the front.

Cotten can you explain that one would think carbon in back leak in the back ??? The side to side play was definitly "coming" from rear seal. Thanks Frank
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Frank!

Let me begin with the usual disclaimer that 'no two manifold leaks act the same, except those that prevent the machine from running at all.'

From there, I generalize, that a machine that will run with a leak must have its carb over-enrichened to accomodate the lean cylinder, thus the carbon will form on the other cylinder, plug, etc.

....Cotten
<<

flathead1943

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Where are my seals ??? Damm i hate Canada post soooooo slow
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 am

flathead1943 wrote:Where are my seals ??? Damm i hate Canada post soooooo slow

Probably awaiting inspection in Canada Customs.
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Flathead1943!

If you ordered from Endfield Racing, please remember that Mr. A was probably distracted like many of us with the Davenport Meet.

I missed him this year, mostly because I couldn't leave my booth until an inch or so of rain made it futile.

....Cotten
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

Flathead1943,

Your part was shipped Aug. 24.

Cotten,
I was planing on getting over to your spot but it was just too hot.
See you next year.

Bruce
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com
<<

flathead1943

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 pm

6489l5e_20 (640x426).jpg
Well guys peek seal are the real deal...( Parts came in today)Now it Starts and idle like it's suppose to. Purrs like a kitten . On a piss off note loss my idle adjusment screw on top of my carb ( where was that locktite bottle lolll) oh well ill find a one tomorrow. Thank for all your help everyone. Ps i didn't pressurize my manifold for leaks i know i know but i will tomorrow before taking it ridding once again.Posted a picture of my old girl . :D :D :D :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Indians