FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Repop FL Knuckle Cyclinders

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Beachdog

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Repop FL Knuckle Cyclinders

Help. Anyone have info on high quality reproduction cylinders for knuckle FL. I'm in need of jugs to replace a set at .070. Looking for real first hand experience with top quality repops, not 3rd hand "I heard it in a ginmill" stuff. This is for a stock looking rider not a display bike. Thanks. I couldn't find anything current in the archives, so any help is appreciated.
<<

shooter15

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Repop FL Knuckle Cyclinders

I've used a few sets from S&S and can say from experience they have been trouble-free.........."SHOOTER"
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

V-Twin sells the only true reproduction cylinders that I know of. They have the Motor Castings Company logo on them as original
<<

Beachdog

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Shooter. Thanks for that info on use.
Chris. Do you have any experience using those Tedds repops you refer to? I'm interested in how they hold up.
Thanks for the responses.
<<

amklyde

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 am

The S&S Flathead Power cylinders are the way to go. Good cases are too precious to risk damaging with a cheap cylinder. I've welded fins back on oem and aftermarket cylinders and you can learn alot about the casting in that process. The metal quality just isn't there with the imported cylinders. I've heard silly arguments from people, "The FHP cyls. don't look original". Or " I don't ride the bike often or ever ride it hard". The first statement has some truth, but if you look at the import castings you notice how rough the casting is compared to oem, maybe if you buried it in powdercoat you may be able to hide it. The second statement is irrelevant, the imports have been known to come apart without abuse and statement makes the assumption that the current owner will have it forever. A knuckle with proper care will outlast the next ten owners.
<<

Beachdog

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks. That's what I'm in need of. I've had this motor for 40 years. I've decided to put a stocker together, but one that I can ride without fear. It will be correct, but not a trailer queen. The cases have never been welded on. I don't want to build a hand grenade. I realize I'm just a caretaker and these toys go to my kids when I pass.
<<

shooter15

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Let me add to what others have said in responding to your question..........as I stated earlier, the S&S F.H.P. cylinders are the ONLY ones I will ever use but that is not to say that I haven't looked at others for comparison......the TAIWAN copies I have examined showed extreme variation in bore dimension,in one example almost .0007 from top to bottom and in another set the bore was off by almost .002......in both cases I would not have considered using them .....if O.E.M markings are what you must have then I would continue searching until I found originals,a clean-up may be needed to get them usable but in the long run you will be much better off than using a set that may, or may not, be within running tolerances.......just my ADDED 2 cents worth :-)........................."SHOOTER"
<<

Beachdog

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Shooter,
Thanks. That pretty much says it all. I've never used any repop jugs, but I suspected the quality might be a reason to stay away. Don't want to make a mistake that could prove deadly to my cases.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I am using ORIGINAL Flathead Power Big Bore cylinders on my Knuck bobber project. I have never heard anything bad about the reproduction cylinder from V Twin. The Taiwan made ZEL cylinders are another story.
<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Chris,
Do you know of anybody who has actually used the reproduction jugs from Tedd? Do you know where the Tedd reproduction jugs are produced? Thanks.

Return to Knuckles