FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

nose cone conversion to generator s&s cases

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

usa

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:01 am

nose cone conversion to generator s&s cases

I have a 1981 SH nose cone motor and does anyone know if I buy a S S generator cases, will all of my motor parts fit with out major machining? Take out my guts and put in S S gen cases. Also barrels and heads. Conversion of nose cone to generator old school look.
<<

Lee W

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: nose cone conversion to generator s&s cases

No, no major machining, but there will be a few issues. You might want to check to see what years of oil pump will bolt on the new cases without modification. Worst case a hole may need to be drilled or plugged.

Your cam will not fit a normal generator cam cover, and your pinion gear would also need to be changed to the longer pre '77 version for a circuit breaker drive gear to mate to (and don't forget you will also need an idler gear if you plan to use a generator. Your nose cone ignition also will not work unless you were to run an S&S distributor with the reverse rotation drive gear.

Top end should be a bolt on. You would want to check the pinion bearing fitment to the new case race. S& S cases usually come with a new Timken for the sprocket shaft, so you will want to remove the Timken half that is pressed on your old flywheel.
<<

usa

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks Lee! also still open to others opinon.
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 pm

In addition to what Lee said you also have to consider that the inner primary is different and the mainshaft in the transmission is longer 70 and up. It is all doeable but at a cost and might not be worth that cost. Jerry
<<

Lee W

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 pm

You're right Jerry, I had forgotten about the inner primary mounting. However S&S would do a special order alternator left and generator right. They actually offer that combo for a 3 5/8" bore shovel, but stock bore would make it a special order. Overall cost might not be any more than adding a generator and regulator. Of course if you were to run it open, the primary would not be an issue. If using the original crank and transmission from the '81, the two should still line up.

Return to Shovels