FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

S&S cylinders 2011

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

TURK

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: S&S cylinders 2011---Banning of our Wizard

PA : Say it isn't so.You have banned our wizard. Surely we shall perish without his wisdom,we are doomed!! Wait, wait it seems there is another wizard,not so knowing of motors and setch but pleasant to be around and a good fellow. "THE WIZARD OF ID" All a favor of trading wizards say "Aye"
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Re: S&S cylinders 2011

Assuming I understand whom you refer to, he is no longer amoung us, so..... we should refrain from comments surrounding him. Since he is completely unable to defend himslf, it just would not be fair to him or anyone else.
<<

Beachdog

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Cotton or anybody else out there. What are you using to seal the intake nipple threads prior to peening the rivet? I know this has been discussed previously, but I'm looking for an update from anybody with experience. There are usually lots of good ways to get the desired results, not one. No answer or opinion will be denigrated.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:45 pm

BeachDog!

That's a very very good question.

My choice a decade ago of Seal-Lock's "Fluid-Weld" has its limitations with large gaps such as within threads.
Considering the digestive nature of modern fuels, JBWeld may be as appropriate as anything.

I have a Pan on the bench this minute with O-ring Conversion Disease (OCD), and shall be installing a standard nipple into one head, and a .010" oversized nipple into the damaged other head.

And although I shall be including a thin wafer of PEEK between the nipple and the dressed head,
NPLWRCNH.jpg
NPLWRCNH.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
I fear JBWeld may be the most appropriate goober for the threads.

..Cotten
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:55 pm

WOW, ya crawl into a hole for a month or so, and lick your wounds, come out and Panic is gone. I felt a tremor in the force while I was down, but I just thought it was North Korea nuking South Korea,. I never thought is was so serious as the banning of Panic. What will he do with all his words, now? Fade into obscurity? We are all lost without his wit and expertise..... Sorry, the Devil made me say it.....
<<

amklyde

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:12 am

I will miss Jeff's participation in this forum. When I was new to computors and web forums, I was not aware that I was getting a little carried away with the feeling of empowerment I was enjoying with this newfound media. He was very patient and helpfull. Jeff put up with my BS and still took the time to help with my questions. I learned alot from him and other fellas with knowledge and experience that took the time to share what they knew.
<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:02 am

Cotton,
I live in an area with lots of ranches. Most of my buddies who have equipment have used JB Weld for years to fix just about anything that moves, with great success. I have found myself using it more and more. I've used it for manifold repair so I guess it will hold up very well on nipples. Do you have any idea how hot those nipples get on a correctly tuned running motor?
I agree, I have had my grey matter stirred often by Panic. I will miss that stimulation and his good knowledge. I don't remember how I got wind of Jeff, but it was before I knew this forum existed. I used to talk to him on the phone about ideas back in the day when he was pedaling a few badly copied one page fact sheets. I'm guessing it was late '80s.
<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:41 pm

The tool looks a lot like a muffler expander tool from Warshawsky's catalogue. Any relation?
So Cotten, What's with the valve seat in that engine? Do I see bits of the original seat below a newer inserted seat? I know it's off topic, but hey, looks interesting...
DD
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I'll miss his extremely valuable imput as well. But !!! Remaining or not remaining was altimately his decision. Maybe he will want to return ? There have been a half dozen or so members who managed to get themselves banned in the past. At least half of those members did return. Further more... they have continued to meet the conditions of their returning. By they way....those conditions have always been observed by the overwhelming membership majority. Pa
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Beachdog!

When I was studying up fo the first PEEK seals, I believe 400F was cited for a Flatty intake.
So I suppose you could deduct a hundred degrees for an OHV.

DD!

The tool is an expanding collet with a nut welded to it to make it work: Caterpillar scrap.

This Pan was one of Liberty's projects completed in the spring of '97. (That's why I let it back in.)
At that time, I was farming hard seat replacements out to a CarQuest in the Chicago area.
The double-proofing that they were installed with consummate skill is that (1), the fragile early castings did not split,
and (2) none of them dropped out after some over-heating from the vaccum leaks forming at the conversion nipples.

Or at least I think they have not loosened.
How would one tell?

and Mr. D may have left the house,
but he is still with us on other forums.
He will have to work harder if he wants to be barred from as many forums as I have.

...Cotten
<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Cotton,
Thanks. I think JB Weld claims to be good to 500 degrees. That should work OK then.
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:22 am

I have checked the intake area on a very fast WR just as it came off the track using an infra red thermometer.
Temperature is about 275 F.
This was in the nipple and surounding area.

Cheers,
Bruce
http://www.enfieldracing.com
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com
<<

Beachdog

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:08 am

Bruce,
Thanks. JB Weld it is! Any more suggestions on something that could be used with todays gas, stand up to the heat and not be quite so hard as JB Weld?
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:28 am

When I checked the temperatures, I was looking into the use of locktite to help the seal nuts from backing off due to the light torque required with PEEK seals.
At 275 F blue locktite still retains about 50% of it's strength.
I think it may work on the nipples as a sealant and be easier to remove than JB Weld.

Bruce
http://www.enfieldracing.com
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com
<<

helsingborg

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Although I haven't used myself I heard good things about pyro putty. Heat resistance is far above jb weld.
Karl
<<

woody

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 pm

I used Loctite 567 on my U intake nipples. It is good to 450F according to the Loctite info. It broke down and the nipples came loose. Many years ago I had a 45 with an intake nipple that was loose and when tightened up, the rivet hole did not line up. I had no idea of the right way to do it, so I used JB Weld and it held for many years of running, hot tanking, sand blasting, and more running. It never came loose.
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:48 am

Saccharin-based thread-lockers dissolve quickly in many modern fuels.

Been there, done that,

....Cotten
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:38 am

Thanks Tom,
I'll forget that idea!

Bruce
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com