FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

FLHTC Fork Flop

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:41 am

FLHTC Fork Flop

When I don't feel like doing any pre ride prep I get on my old (BMW Like) EVO. It's a '85 FLHTC set up as a FLHS. Over the years I have done various slight mods for performance and handling. As I transition into senior citizen status I am less forgiving of the poor low speed handling. In particular, the feeling that the fork wants to flop to one side or the other. I have replaced the riser bushings with a stiff polyurethane type - removed that vague disconnected feeling. I have a bagger front fork brace that was produced locally in San Jose for a short time, which really tightens up the front end feel. I installed the very effective Glide-Pro swing arm stabilizing system which helps make the bike feel like it is tracking thru sweepers on rails - SOLID. I'm thinking about either changing the fork legs to SHOWA (1997-9) and installing the Progressive Mono-tube kit or doing the Race Tech Gold Valve install in the present forks. I'll probably balance the front out with the Progressive 940 Ultra Touring rear shocks in place of my air shocks. I'm also looking at how I can put at least one if not two steering stabilizers on it. Anyone out there have any thoughts or better yet any experience in making these beasts feel more controlled to the rider?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 am

Re: FLHTC Fork Flop

I have a stock chassis on my '95 FLHTCU. It goes where I point it without problems.
<<

RUBONE

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 pm

I cured all my handling problems in one move! I bought a Ducati!
Robbie
<<

panacea

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Beachdog, I installed the Racetech goldvalves in the last three late model Harleys I've owned. They are definitely an improvement over the stock setup. You can adjust how much dampening you get by tightening a screw with a spring that presses on a restriction disk which sits above the stock valve. I suggest useing the lighter springs that come with the kit as the heavy ones are a bit harsh, although my bikes don't have the weight of a fairing to consider...Mike
<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Gold Valves because it would just be a mod to my present fork. Mine doesn't have the fairing, just a shorty windshield. Looks sort of like a Road King. I tend to throw it around like it's an FXR, that's why I'm looking to upgrade the rideability a bit.

Return to Evo's Thru 99