FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SHOV-UL

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

greg1

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:40 am

SHOV-UL

I found the magazine (an ancient issue of supercycle) I mentioned a while back that has the UL engine with a shovelhead top end.The article on it is pretty sparse but the following will give you the pertinent details.The cases only had to be slightly machined to accept the shovelhead topend,he used the stock UL tappet blocks but found that using sportster lifters gave the pushrods the right lift and length.The pushrod tubes look dead straight and centered in the grooves cut out of the cylinders fins for them.I'm sure they're probably off some but you can't see it in these pictures.He's running one of those aftermarket dual carb intakes with from what i can tell by what's not covered with a big oval aircleaner look like Amal carbs.Then other then a magneto and custom shotguns for exhaust it pretty much looks like your average stripped down UL.He stroked it to 88" to I quote "have a powerful V-twin engine with higher then normal torque characteristics and uses easier to find shovelhead parts".I wish I had a scanner but it's an old black and white photo anyway and wouldn't turn out very well.The same magazine has a 1928 JD owned by Buzz Walneck that's so nice it'll bring a tear to a grown mans eye.It's minus the front fender,has a cut down rear fender with a real sparto tail light,features some extra chrome and a late model paint scheme according to the text.He paid the tidy sum of $200.00 for it complete although in rough shape.I bet it took big balls to top out the 74" engine in what looks like amounts to a big bicycle back when the young and dumb or is that brave guys first bought them.
<<

panic

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 am

Re: SHOV-UL

Last edited by panic on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 am

Joe Helfelrty at Williams Motors has built several of these engines for his customers. If ya want details he is your man.
<<

panic

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am

Then, it must have been perfect.
My bad.
Last edited by panic on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 pm

I just spoke with Joe. He used the stock UL valve train. The lifter blocks were machined to accept the OHV cork seals. Sportster pushrod tubes were used as they has a smaller OD. It has been a long time ago (1970's) and he doesn't remember what rods and pistons were used. That shouldn't be hard to figure out. It was no race motor but did run and was seen running at least 15 years later.
<<

dalaymond

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm

greg1 wrote:I found the magazine (an ancient issue of supercycle) I mentioned a while back that has the UL engine with a shovelhead top end.The article on it is pretty sparse but the following will give you the pertinent details.The cases only had to be slightly machined to accept the shovelhead topend,he used the stock UL tappet blocks but found that using sportster lifters gave the pushrods the right lift and length.The pushrod tubes look dead straight and centered in the grooves cut out of the cylinders fins for them.I'm sure they're probably off some but you can't see it in these pictures.He's running one of those aftermarket dual carb intakes with from what i can tell by what's not covered with a big oval aircleaner look like Amal carbs.Then other then a magneto and custom shotguns for exhaust it pretty much looks like your average stripped down UL.He stroked it to 88" to I quote "have a powerful V-twin engine with higher then normal torque characteristics and uses easier to find shovelhead parts".I wish I had a scanner but it's an old black and white photo anyway and wouldn't turn out very well.The same magazine has a 1928 JD owned by Buzz Walneck that's so nice it'll bring a tear to a grown mans eye.It's minus the front fender,has a cut down rear fender with a real sparto tail light,features some extra chrome and a late model paint scheme according to the text.He paid the tidy sum of $200.00 for it complete although in rough shape.I bet it took big balls to top out the 74" engine in what looks like amounts to a big bicycle back when the young and dumb or is that brave guys first bought them.

I sure would like to read that article. Anyway I can get a copy?
<<

indianut

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Postby panic on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 pm
Then, it must have been perfect.
My bad.
Oh, I get it. Because you do not like the Idea, it is not a good one!

<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Last edited by panic on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Let us don't even go that direction. Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 am

trying to steer this thread in a more useful direction, I do remember that custom bike magazines of the day regularly included machines with eaborately tuned or modified engines using very large bore/stroke combinations, finless drag racing barrels, enormous carburettors, mismatched parts ( such as the engine with one panhead top end and one knucklehead unit ) and so forth. It would be interesting to know if some of these engines actually ran, how well and for how long....
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 am

45Brit wrote:trying to steer this thread in a more useful direction, I do remember that custom bike magazines of the day regularly included machines with eaborately tuned or modified engines using very large bore/stroke combinations, finless drag racing barrels, enormous carburettors, mismatched parts ( such as the engine with one panhead top end and one knucklehead unit ) and so forth. It would be interesting to know if some of these engines actually ran, how well and for how long....

Andy, who had the ShovPaKnuck that was featured in Easyriders back in the '90's is still riding it. Cone Shovel lect case, Knuck right case, Front Pan cylinder and head, Rear Knuck cylinder and head. A custom cam from Leinweber made it all work together. The Bike sits in his showroom at Top Dead Center in Oxnard, CA.
<<

Neil74

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 pm

How long did the flatty run as is or was? I guess the only way to find out now would be to build one and run her till she breaks. Take it apart investigate, change and reassemble. Maybe once? twice? three times? am I getting close:) :cry: :cry: :cry:
<<

greg1

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 am

dalaymond I have no scanner or it would be easy enough to put on my harddrive and share the article with all interested,I apologize for my inability to help.The article is VERY sparse on pictures as well as information.It's on 2 pages of the magazine but honestly didn't look to even need one full page for pictures and info provided.As to what pistons were used it doesn't doesn't any definitive answer.One could infer by the multiple mention of putting a shovelhead top end on a UL he used the complete shovelhead top end pistons included.That of course seems to be left up to the reader to know the writers definition of the terms he chose for said article such as "complete".

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"