New Rocker Boxes
After spending three+ weeks trying to find gasket kits for my 88” Evo, I gave up and replaced the rocker boxes with stock S&S units.
These new boxes are a big improvement over the original die-cast/chromed rocker boxes that came with the bike (2001 Indian Scout). They’re billet aluminum and polished, not chromed. I got them from J&P Cycle.
The S&S tech told me to make sure I got all the old Loc-Tite® out of the holes in the heads so that the torque settings would be correct. I used taps to chase the threads and then cleaned out the debris with swabs and solvent. The cotton swabs are good for picking up the little bits of aluminum tailings, esp at the bottom of the hole. I used my shopvac with a small nozzle to suck out any remaining crap.
The prep work took the most time, and installing the boxes with the engine in the frame was pretty straightforward. I did buy the special allen heads that S&S sells to do the job in-frame. I thought they were a tad pricey, but they made the job a lot easier. For the aft cylinder it’s still a tight squeeze, but a 5/8 crowfoot worked fine. Used the same crowfoot to torque all the screws so they’d be the same, and kept the head of the tool parallel with the body of the wrench so no calcs were necessary.
Re-adjusted the pushrods (new o-rings on the covers) and fired her up. Success!
Now for my favorite part…a road test.
Road test a success…only got out for an hour or so, but no leaks.
This weekend, last one in September, is the ever-growing (last year 14k bikes!) Oyster Run in Anacortes, Washington State. We’ll see if the trip south is oil-free (on the outside of the bike).