FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sealing intake nipples - "The Right Stuff"

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

dirtyss

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 am

Sealing intake nipples - "The Right Stuff"

Hi
I needed to know what sort of thread sealer / thread loc could be used on my Scout intake nipples as although they were originally rivetted after tightening at the factory, this is something Flathead power apparently don't do with their cylinder barrels as they use a sealer. I asked their Tech what sealer they used and it turns out to be "Permetex The Right Stuff". I go and pay out approx $30 over here for a can and when I read the the lable it says "Do not use in gasoline" - go figure !
Not too sure what to do now.
Regards
Paul
<<

WZ507

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Sealing intake nipples - "The Right Stuff"

“The Right Stuff” is a neutral-cure silicone RTV (doesn’t liberate acetic acid and smell like vinegar, as some silicone RTVs do) and is very similar to Permatex’ “Ultra” line of sealants/gasket makers (blue, black, grey, etc). Permatex probably recommends against using such cured sealants around gas because they are readily swollen (but not dissolved) by such solvents and once swollen loose much of there mechanical strength (the mechanical strength is modest even in the virgin state). In your application you are not so concerned with mechanical strength as you are with having a compound present in the thread to prevent air leakage. The diffusion path from the IN port back through the nipple thread is relatively long and I can’t envision any scenario where fuel penetration could remove any of the sealant. Fuel could swell the sealant and cause it to expand, but that’s all that can happen. So even in the swollen state it would function as a satisfactory seal. I’m sure with use the sealant goes through perpetual cycles of being slightly swollen when liquid fuel is present to being totally free of fuel as evaporation and heat cause fuel loss.

In spite of the swelling potential I suspect you could use the product successfully in your application. You could also try Permatex’ Hylomar which is also non-hardening and additionally alleged to be resistant to all automotive fluids including gas and gas/alcohol blends.
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:53 am

Re: Sealing intake nipples - "The Right Stuff"

"Alledged"?

Echo Nelson Muntz: "HAA-haah!"

....Cotten

Return to General Whatever-Technical