FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

need help with a k cylinder dimension

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

greg1

Post Thu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm

need help with a k cylinder dimension

I as some of you know have a set of KH cylinders but they are with me engine about 2 hours away.Larry runs a busy shop so i figure I'll inquire here before bugging him.I need the approximate width x length of the top of a K cylinder.1/4"-1/2" over would be better then the measurement being under size.I do not need the extra length added by the exhaust spigot in this measurement. Trying to work on a fitment issue kind of in the dark.I'm using a WL 45 cylinder to check Issue but the WL cylinders diameter just feels smaller then I recall the K cylinders being.Well thanks for any help.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Mon May 31, 2010 8:54 am

Re: need help with a k cylinder dimension

I had a KH cylinder under the bench and since the heads are the same it should be close enough for your needs.
From just above exhaust to the back side 7 1/4, from that corner by exhaust to the carb side 7 1/2. If you measure accross the whole corner to corner the longest point is 7 3/4, but the average is 7 1/2 at it's greatest leangth from side to side. If you have a head, just use that, but remember that a KH cylinder's height in the frame is taller than the K.

Barry
<<

greg1

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey Barry thanks for the dimensions.You wouldn't have or know where to locate a set of K cylinders that are busted in the flange area or have hole in the cylinder walls below the larger top section of the cylinder cheap or at least pretty cheap.I have a little project I'm messing with out of pure boredom and a front and back cylinder would give me something that would hold my interest to do.In the last month I think I've seen 3 sets of K and a single K cylinder sell cheap on ebay.Of course I wasn't thinking about this little experiment at the time.Well thanks again for the dimensions.......
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Sorry Greg,

It used to be that finding just plain K cylinders was easy, as no one wanted them. Lots of them used on race bikes to rules bore, and then sitting in the upper stories of old Harley shops all over the Northwest. There were probably 15 or 20 pairs that I looked though at Columbia Cycle in Vancouver Wa, when they used to be way out on Mill Plane Ave in a long Two story building that was likely built in the 30's. They eventually sold all that stuff off at swap meets. When I used to go in and they let me up there in the "old parts" if I would find something I wanted, I would bring it down stares the the back counter. Then one of the guys would get out an 1965 K and Sportster parts book, look up the part and charge me what it was listed for.... This was in 1988, not 1967.... New or used, I was not complaining. This before anyone really discovered K models again. There were a few around that worked on restoring them, but few and far between. I picked up every one of those cylinders and checked it for a -54 part number, as I have a KH. None to be found! Did find some other goodies though!

Barry

Return to K-Models