Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions K-Models To Chop a K...Or not to chop...

To Chop a K...Or not to chop...

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Tue May 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Being the K is a real Rare bike now a day....Be hard to do this over with this 55 KHK....
But being it was a piece together and not a complete bike to start from...I don't feel so bad about chopping it out..

Post Tue May 11, 2010 9:14 pm

I talked with Ron Trock's wife just a few weeks before he passed....She said that she had a 56 KHK that was hers...And that she had not rode it in many years....She said that she was going to get it back on the road again....Bless her heart....For having the desire to live life on two wheels. My hat is off to you, Grand Lady.

Post Wed May 12, 2010 1:03 pm

personally i think that bike looks way cool as it is.
regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years

Post Wed May 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Personally it's all been done before to death!Another "INDIVIDUAL" chop. Take it back to original!

Post Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm
Pa Site Admin

I like it as it is also. If I were to consider returning it to its original state, if it were mine, I'd start with gathering parts before tearing that bike down.

Post Wed May 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Way cool !!! thats the way I remember them back in the day, besides if you don't cut the original frame and sheet metal its not a sin, the only thing I would do is install a K or XL front brake and ride it , nice job ! Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Very nice looking bike.

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 pm

agreed. Fit a proper front brake and ride it. Form follows function.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:24 am

I was thinking ... There is a good analogy in the museum world, where I sort of live ...

It has do with the preservation, repair, or restoration of objects, be they sculptures, paintings, old broken prehistoric pots, textiles, or whatever ...

And I think that that is a rule that should be applied to vintage cars or motorcycles most of the time. Don't cut up OEM frames or sheet metal. Period. There is lots of repro stuff out there to cut up, if you feel you have to. Every time I see a chopped and cut-up 60's Triumph, I just feel sick ... They made lousy substitutes for Harleys and IMHO never really worked as choppers.

And by the way, I really like your K custom ... Whoever did it had a very, very good eye. How about keeping that one and looking for another for restoration. The originals aren't that rare, and you or somebody else can always undo the custom at some point in the future.

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Well said...

I agree, ride that one, it looks very nice and rideable..

Just another's opinion.

Return to K-Models