FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

1947 Time Warp

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Dragstews

Post Mon May 10, 2010 8:54 pm

1947 Time Warp

Not sure how to post pictures....Need help..Please.

The screen that OEM installed under the superator plate was not there...

Last edited by Dragstews on Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

George Greer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: 1947 Time Warp

Photobucket is pretty simple to use.

Create account, upload photos, copy IMG tag...paste in message.

George
<<

Dragstews

Post Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks..That did the trick....

Having a little Oil Carrie over problem with this Repo 84" Kunck...

Doing a few old ideas for the cure....

This is what I had in mind....

And also installing this 91 OEM part in the breather stand pipe in the cam cover.

And also one of these...

Being a S&S case, the breather window is pretty huge from the get-go..Was going to hook up a degree wheel and check the open and closing of the valve, But think that I would be beating a dead horse there.

If anyone has advice to add...I would love to hear what you would have to say on this problem...
The motor has less then 1,600 miles from day one...

Had one more thought on this....May be a good idea to do .
Going to install a Don Hotop air ramp inside of the breather gear...Will be in need of drilling the scavenging vacuum hole for pulling oil from the cylinder heads in the ramp.

Make that two more thoughts...
Being the lower end is S&S and has the late 54-up pinion shaft And there oil pump as well..Could install the Baisley's Speed up gears on the pump..That would really help on the scavenging to move oil out of motor quickly.
<<

Dragstews

Post Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 am

Installed the air ramp...Seems to be the fix...Road about 25 miles today...No oil from breather pipe...

[imgImage][/img]

Installed the vent in the same spot as the above picture of my 52 Pan-Shovel....Being a useless hole is in the frame already..

[imgImage][/img]

<<

panic

Post Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 am

Last edited by panic on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dragstews

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:39 pm

I didn't do the gears.....Thought I would give all of this a try first and if it still had oil Carrie over go to his gears...
May have a total of 50 miles on it now....So far...Not a drop of oil has come out the breather....Do think, with what mods has been done, May have took care of the problem...We shall see..??

I have used his gears in the past on a few Hot-Rod type builds...along with the bleed-off kit that he offers...Alot of outside plumping goes on with that kit.....Not pleasing to the eye...Reason for wanting to give all the above a try first

Much Thanks, for the info.
<<

ncmc47

Post Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 am

Is that one of Daughtery vent devices? If so what is your opinion of it?
Thanks
Steve
It's a hard life if you don"t weaken.
<<

Dragstews

Post Wed May 26, 2010 3:55 pm

ncmc47 wrote:Is that one of Daughtery vent devices? If so what is your opinion of it?
Thanks
Steve

No..Not a Daughtery....They make good products...This one is a Spyke. The reason for going to this company for a vent system is that the unit has a built in mount that allows for easy mounting on this bike...

Use many over the years, Mosty on Evo's They do there job very well on regulating vacum in the crankcase...
<<

Boots99

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm

I had a similiar problem with my '40 Knuck early on. My cases are OEM but I am running a S&S Oil pump. It took a number of "cures" before it worked right. First, I found that using the S&S gear set to drive the pump, gives you a 1:4 ratio which is faster then the 1:5 that Panic mentioned is the stock ratio. You want to slow the pump down, not speed it up. The S&S pump puts out way more oil volumn and pressure then a knuck engine design needs or wants. I managed to finda set of OEM gears to get it slowed back down. As Panic also mentioned, when you speed it up or slow it down, the feed and scavange side stay in the same ratio. But the feed side is pretty much positive displacement because there is near 100% feed oil available from the tank. On the scavenge side you get mixed oil and air that has not been completly seperated out. So you also get less scavenge oil then you do feed oil. It has to even out eventually or you'd fill the bottom end with all your oil, but it does that pretty poorly with a Knuck design and you tend to push the excess out the breather and into the top end and out the exhaust pipe as smoke. So you want to slow the pump down to lessen that effect, and then also reduce the oil pressure to further lessen it. A lighter over pressure relief spring will allow more of the 100% oil to dump right back into the cam chest where it can be picked up and pumped back to the tank instead of circulating through the engine first and mixing with air turning it into vapor / mist when it gets back to the cam chest. I finally got my pump running no higher then 25 psi dead cold, and 10 psi hot. That is still much higher thena stock knuck oil pump, but it cured the problem. That missing screen helps too. Its job is to help seperate the oil from the air so that the oil that makes it to the pump return area, is a higher percentage of oil, and the air that goes out the breather is mainly air with the oil removed from it first. All the other breather mods have been tried with very mixed results. Good Luck.

Return to Knuckles