FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

xlh 1969 chain oiler LOCATION???

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

k56

Post Wed May 05, 2010 9:10 pm

xlh 1969 chain oiler LOCATION???

looking for the cut-off on the chain oiler on my xlh 1969. manual pic shows it to be right where my starter is located and i'm having no luck on websites regarding this subject! anyhow, its throwing a bet too much oil on the chain and i'm looking to turn it down some or just shut it off all together and use chain oiler from a spray can...any help would help!
<<

k56

Post Sat May 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: xlh 1969 chain oiler LOCATION???

and i thought there was some sportster knowledge on this site! 27 views and NO answers...
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun May 09, 2010 2:27 am

Impatience!!!

I don't have a 69 under the eyes at the moment, but looking at the parts book, looks like the feed is like later Sportsters, taken directly on the back of the timing cover cavity.
Then one steel pipe goes on top of the gear box right fin that holds the sprocket cover where another fitting is bolted, fitted with the needle screw regulator. Then short piece of steel fiting and rubber hose after that...
You might well be missing the middle fitting, it's normally quite visible , easy access for adjustments.

Patrick
<<

Neil74

Post Sun May 09, 2010 6:41 am

Both oilers on a 73 and 76 Sportster were accessible from behind the Sprocket cover on the bikes I've seen with them.
<<

k56

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:05 am

thefrenchowl wrote:Impatience!!!

I don't have a 69 under the eyes at the moment, but looking at the parts book, looks like the feed is like later Sportsters, taken directly on the back of the timing cover cavity.
Then one steel pipe goes on top of the gear box right fin that holds the sprocket cover where another fitting is bolted, fitted with the needle screw regulator. Then short piece of steel fiting and rubber hose after that...
You might well be missing the middle fitting, it's normally quite visible , easy access for adjustments.

Patrick

Oh Lord, give me patience, and GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

thanks patrick, that puts me on a path. my buddy is also lending me a "shop" manual this week, maybe i'll get a better sence of tracking it down.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:25 am

I've also looked at the FM, there's no illustration for the 69 XLH, just for the 69 CH where it's taken off thr return feed line.

Thinking about it again, the 69 XLH adjuster fitting might just be lying on top of the gearbox, behind the fin...

Later XLH oiler, as Neil points out, is behind the sprocket cover, just one steel pipe, no rubber hose.

Patrick
<<

k56

Post Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 pm

took the cover off the sprocket area this evening and NO nothing! the chain oiler is not behind the gear box under back fender either. looking at the chain with the sprocked cover open, i don't even see any type of tube, metal, rubber or otherwise. you'd think you could see an area where the oil drips on to the rear chain, it's just not there. i'm wondering now if it somehow spurts oil on to the chain "behind" the sprocket. any help would help.

Return to Sporties