FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

around the world by Harley...

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:22 pm

around the world by Harley...

Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Re: around the world by Harley...

Great story ! But I'll pass on the opportunity to ever join them on the ride. :wink:
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 am

I've worked in some parts of West Africa and I certainly wouldn't try this... :shock:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 am

After my first comment on this... I pondered even doing it on a dirt bike. I still told myself nope. :wink:
<<

Mark44

Post Thu May 06, 2010 12:05 am

This story reminded me of a slide show I saw back in the 80s some time, about a couple who made a bicycle trip around the world. The couple were Larry and Barbara Savage, and Barbara wrote a book about the trip (http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Nowhere-Rou ... 0898861098). Ironically, Barbara got hit by a car and was killed after they were back home. Larry made the rounds giving slide shows following the accident.

During the slide show, I was at first impressed by their adventurousness, but later in the show, it seemed to me that if they had known what they would come up against, they probably would have bagged the trip. A couple of the places that seemed absolutely horrible were Egypt (or maybe it was Sudan) and India. Maybe the guy riding his Harley in the Congo in the muddy ruts almost deep enough to swallow the bike had similar thoughts.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu May 06, 2010 5:08 am

I have to admit, the more I travel, the less inclined I am to do something like that, and the dafter it seems....
<<

jib

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:51 am

i had a very good friend, simon millward. who on a purpose built bike rode equal to around the world about 3 times so tortous were his routes and endevours to se as much as he could and in order to promote his causes ,doctors without borders and motorcycles for health. he died on the way home througth mali. this was his his web page.kept up by family and friends

http://www.millennium-ride.com/

the continuation of what simon started is here at,

http://www.MotorcycleOutreach.org

he was a kind crazy caring bloke who could ride like the devil and also had his fair share of accidents when things got out of control. amongs his rides was the road of bones look on the site to see some of his adventures ,how he lasted so long is anyones guess. rip simon 4,5,2005

regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

45Brit

Post Fri May 07, 2010 12:48 pm

The book I always think of in that connection is "Jupiter's Travels", around the world on a Meriden 500cc Triumph.

plus Ewan McGregors' two travelogues "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" - especially interesting in that they show the support team, instead of pretending they don't exist as most such programmes do. McGregor and Boorman travelled part of the Road of Bones - assuming we're both talking about the same one; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M56_Kolyma_highway_(Russia)
<<

jib

Post Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 pm

yep same road cept simon had no back up crew. and sold his house to finance his trip think he was on the road about 3 years nonstop, read ted simons book and enjoyed it, cant stand the boorman etc dialogue thing got both books and tried to watch but couldnt stand the films, bloke called clive lewis rode round the world on a lambretta 150 in 1964, isnt that crzy enlishman doing it on a standard yamaha r1 ,and i think theres a english chap doing it on a retro fidgid evo, and a couple of nutters from norway on 2 four cylinder nimbuses with sidecars theses things are wacky. link..

http://www.kccd.no

regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

RUBONE

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 pm

My all time favorite has always been "One Man Caravan" by Robert Edison Fulton about his trip on a Douglas twin. And don't forget "Around the World with Motorcycle and Camera" by Eitel and Rolph Lange, "The Last Hurrah" by Des Malloy , a great tale of a couple geezers on old Brit singles, "Riding the Edge" by Dave Barr who rode a Harley around the world with two prosthetic legs!, "10 Years on two wheels" by Helge Peterson, "Three Wheeling Through Africa" about a couple guys crossing Africa West to east in the '20 on a Triumph combo, and Danny Liska's classic "Two Wheels to Adventure". Also Ted Simon's repeat trip, "Moto Raid " by Thye, "Around the World on a Motorcycle" by Zoltan Sulkowsky, as well as others of slighty lesser attempts. Great reads all! :D
Robbie
<<

45Brit

Post Sat May 08, 2010 1:05 am

Charlie Boorman, yes well.. "son of the man who made Deliverance", 'nuff said. His subsequent solo travel thing was pretty dire. Ewan McGregor was a bit too "green and worthy" at times, as well.

The Swiss cameraman who hadn't actually passed his test was a gem though, especially the bit about riding through Mongolia on a CZ two-stroke after wrecking the BMW. Loved the party full of drunks with guns, as well

Return to Shoot The Bull