Close inspection showed the point terminal was barely touching the cap when it was in place. One screwdriver and a repositioned terminal, and starting was a breeze. It runs beautifully, and there is nothing like the sound of a new flattie through drag pipes. The starting system operates flawlessly. I used a non-electric start 65 inner primary, 65 output shaft with re-tapered end, used rod bearings in a hogged out old race, and machined inner for one of the original BDL belt drives with idler. Much hogging of aluminum, and a lot of fitting for the solenoid. I used a tin outer just because I liked the looks of it. Had a lot of trouble getting it all to fit and work together, but right now I feel it was worth it.
It has a 4 speed tranny, 5 gal tanks, swingarm Paugho frame, lowered shocks, disc brakes front and rear, and a late model battery fit into an old saddle tank. I had to modify the clutch arm drastically, and fitting the drag pipes to clear everything including the kick starter was a trial, but it all works. It also has turn signals, horn, etc. for safety reasons.
Then I painted it Seafoam Green!
Now I get to go through the NC title trials. In case you don't live in NC, we have the worst title system for rejuvenating old titleless bikes in the USA. I will use the MCO from Paugho to start the process. It isn't going to be fun.