FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

jib has come a cropper....

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:47 am

jib has come a cropper....

some boards would probably title this 'downed bro' or something ( or is that banged up? I really don't know.. ) but as this is FHP, I'll just say that jib tells me he has had a nasty fall while riding, and is laid up for a while.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 am

Re: jib has come a cropper....

Aw man I hate to hear that. Wish him the best for us.

Jerry
<<

jib

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:03 am

thanks guys, am writting from my hospital bed,in traction [head] with 30lds hanginging of me,got a broken neck, i crush fractured C1 which is the vertebre that the skull spins on, so am really lucky not to be paralysed from the eyes down, should be up again in about 7-8 weeks.
funny crash, went into a corner about 15-25 mph on the wlc and the wheels went straight out from under.slid into and along the kerbwith my right leg under the bike[had leathers and boots on] then the bike span around and slammed my head into the kerb. ouch
was knocked out and came too with paramedics on the scene.
two bust ribs in sternum,one in my back,3 crush fractured vertebre in lower back, the one i already told you about and lost two teeth from middle top and knocked one loose.
good thing is bike only has slightly bent bars an some new scuffs.
regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Sounds like you got lucky Jib, injuries notwithstanding. Funny how you can sometimes do yourself more harm in a low-speed crash innit?

Hope you're recovered soon mate.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Loose anymore teeth Bro and you will have to use a toothbrush and toss the teethbrush. :lol: Just trying to lighten your burden with a chuckle jib. You are a very lucky Man ! Relax all you can and get yourself healed. Tell us about the hospital staff. The nurses especially. :wink: Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

you never know. My elder boy did an end-over-end in the grasstrack at Mallory Park last year and walked away with no real harm done, although the bike was near broken in half.

that said, more years ago than I care to remember I did a day at Shane Hearty's speedway school at Hackney and just about the first thing we were taught, was how to slide off without getting your left leg trapped under the bike. Speedway bikes had exposed clutches and primary chains in those days, so this was worth knowing. The basic trick was to straighten your arms and legs and open your hands wide, then roll in a ball. We spent about an hour jumping off a push-bike in the car park, it all looked pretty daft but you have to do it without thinking.

I still do this occasionally as part of my off-season work-out routine, and it does work. It also works if you get too much traction at the line and loop the loop, but this probably isn't particularly relevant vis-a-vis 45s :lol:
<<

panic

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 am

This should mean you'll have no more bad luck for the next 50 years, yes?

Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

Not a lecture, but: don't slack off on your re-hab!! Do what they tell you, not what feels OK.
<<

jib

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:21 pm

thanks guys, im sleeping nearly all the time, and the nurses are great,esp the italian girl titsyanna [real name and by god it suits her]
back to sleep now as im tired again, regards jib
<<

George Greer

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 pm

Take care and speedy recovery,

George
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:42 am

jib
i just checked in and saw the news. Sorry to hear about the crash. Looks like you came out of it far better than you could have. Best wishes on a full recovery.
Curt!
<<

Kev UK

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

45Brit wrote:how to slide off without getting your left leg trapped under the bike. Speedway bikes had exposed clutches and primary chains in those days, so this was worth knowing. The basic trick was to straighten your arms and legs and open your hands wide, then roll in a ball. We spent about an hour jumping off a push-bike in the car park, it all looked pretty daft but you have to do it without thinking.

I still do this occasionally as part of my off-season work-out routine, and it does work.

Similar technique was taught to me when in the Army; our RSM was a keen biker and after two of us apprentices got killed in quick succession he had the local police force instructors come in a train us properly. The resultant knowledge has saved my skin, if not my life, more than once over the years. Warrant Officer "Polly" Perkins, Grenadier Guards, thank you sir.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Please heal quicker than I do....

....Cotten
<<

jib

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

hi guys, the consultant has told me im now in here for at least 10-12 weeks now, but 4 have gone nearly allready and havent been a long time at all,so at the mo im not fazed.
regards jib
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 pm

you'll miss the election.... make the most of it :lol:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear that. Be patient and get well. Pa
<<

jib

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 am

ben im going to try for a postal vote, and the 'r n r' is great,much needed, shame the nurses cant be more free with their charms, helen one of the sisters was washing my back earlier and her touch was gorgeous, shame was only my back....
cheers pa ,been a month feels like days, out in time for my birthday

regards jib
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Jib
Hope you mend soon,we don't bounce like we used to,do we.Ouche. :(
As Kev said,training for the event seems pointless at the time,but it's saved my neck(no pun intended)more than once.
Some years ago,I threw a BMW twin up the road,getting the hang of a new roundabout on the Fosse Way.I lifted my leg and rolled off,getting the bike infront of me.When you get infront,they always catch up and jump on you.I got away with a friction burn through my jacket,the bike needed a new front end.
If you think the washing's a bit erotic,wait till you start the physio,asuming it's a woman. :mrgreen:
<<

jib

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 pm

[img][/img hi dave et al ,i previously have had some pretty good get off's with little or no damage,but this one gave no warning ,before i knew it iwas on my side with my leg under the bike, and shortly later was unconsious, as my leathers bear testiment as i dont remember my left leg anywhere near the road or for that my bum either ,but both those areas are skuffed, tried posting photos fo helmet and leather jeans but cant work it out,techno stupid.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm

you never do have any recollection of what actually happened. I had a get-off riding a BMW twin in the early 80s, and I have no recollection of quite how it happened.

I can remember my various racing falls, you are so focussed when racing that you are seeing everything, I do anyway.

LimeyDave's point about keeping the bike in front of you, and what probably happens if you don't, is 100%. That's why going over the high side is usually the worst thing to do, the bike starts to jump about and if it hits you, it's not good.
<<

jib

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:02 am

i remember one crash i came flying out of a juction down hill and the gears popped into neutral,so i shut the throttle and it went back into gear again, locking the back wheel, and the bike went into rear wheel drift before throwing me off in front of it, then i remember see ]ing the bike flying over the top of me to land further down the road,s. bent bars and some scuffs and i just had some lite grazing and bruises. that was a lucky one.1985
unlike when i ended up in taunton hospital with a lacerated spleen from being forced of the road by a tanker in the rain on a winters morning in the dark 1992
ive been crashing on average once evry 6 months since i started riding 30 years ago and have only broke my tibia and fibia,collar bone x2,three teeth on two seperate occaisions and now my neck, the lacerated spleen incident and various grazes,scapes and countless bruises. yet have freinds riding the same length of time and not fallen off, i do tend to push the envelope a bit esp on slower bikes like not braking or slowing for roundabouts or corners so to keep my momentum going, and grinding has been a favorate pastime for quite a while.
the thing is with crashing advice is it can be cotradictory, take sammy miller in his autobiography he states he learned the safest thing was to stay with the bike for as long as possible, whereas i and alot of other prefer the bailout and roll method, still i suppose its horses for courses in the long run and fate plays a major part in my opinion.
regards jib
8)
Next

Return to Talk To Us