FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

GOOD spot for a gearhead to live ???

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Tim 435

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm

GOOD spot for a gearhead to live ???

Hi all, lived here in Pa., USA like forever and can't take these seemingly endless winters anymore, I'll never retire but hope to semi retire soon and am seriously thinking of making a move, where ever I go the shop and toys will go with as i'm a gearhead till death do us part. I do enjoy seasonal weather as long as the winters are milder and shorter than Pa ! Not only does winter suck here but its getting crowded , heavy traffic, crappy roads, rising taxation (don't get me started on that), hell we even have acid rain ! So I'm looking for milder seasonal, decent roads to scoot on, in general a gearhead state and preferably a politically red one thats not pushing the environmental issue with emissions crap ! Sounds like a tall order but been watching the temps in Northern Ga., and Prescott, Az., haven't been to Prescott but visited N. Ga a couple times and its very nice ! oh yea a racetrack or lotsa gearhead activities within reach is always a big plus ! Thought it would be interesting to hear from others on the board as we all share like enthusiasm and we are scattered over the country (and world) , thanks , Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:14 am

Re: GOOD spot for a gearhead to live ???

Go back to sleep and continue dreaming. When your are awake, Ya might find different climates and lower population but ya won't find cost of living and regulations differing for very long. Just MHO :wink: Pa
<<

amklyde

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 am

Prescott, AZ is a great place. The wife and I were married there almost 30 yrs ago. We spent some time there a few years back and couldn't believe how much it had grown. As with all the good places to retire, it is filling up fast. Missouri and Arkansas are looking good to me.
<<

Tim 435

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 am

I hear ya pa, there's alot of people pissed about the way things are going, maybe I am dreaming but still hopeful someone will come along and put things in a possitive direction, the sooner the better !
<<

woody

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

It aint perfect here in Washington, but I rode 200 miles today. I have been out every week since New Years. Yes it rains, but rain suits don't cost that much.
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

When the wife and I leave Germany, we are moving to the Portland OR area.

George
<<

woody

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 pm

George, let me know when. We can get together to drink beer and tell lies.
<<

George Greer

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Woody,

You got it!! My stepdaughter and her husband lives around the Milwaukie area, (Clacamus Mall).

I was born and raised in Georgia, and still have family that lives there, but it just aint home anymore.

Too long away, too much time with the military in crazy places in the world.

Before I get to come to live.......could I talk you into making a part for me like you made for your oil pump?? I don't have my mill yet neither the skills to make one ( not yet anyway ). :)

George
<<

Randall

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Texas
<<

Randall

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:36 am

Took a ride yesterday on the river road along the Rio Grande between Presidio and Lajitas and over to Terlingua west of Big Bend National Park. Temps in the mid-seventies, sunshine, dry roads, and spectacular desert canyons and mountains. More of the same today; how was it back east?
--- Randall
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Any place without snow and ice sounds good to me.
<<

X-WLCH

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:55 pm

BACK EAST THE SUN CAME OUT THIS AFTERNOON. THAT WAS NICE FOR A CHANGE. :?
<<

Tim 435

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:58 pm

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m175/Tim435/ Thats about 24" on the barn roof we got over the weekend, expecting another 12 tomorrow night, Texas sounds pretty good right now , Tim
<<

RUBONE

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Tim,
Pretty much anywhere in the southwest is nice , fairly mild and very dry at times with winters from mild to wild. However, being a racer as you are the opportunity to do so is very limited out this way. It is either all the way out to the left coast, or eastern and middle states. Sandia is not even on the AHRMA schedule this year and Miller is only one weekend . Willow springs is a long way from Texas, so is Daytona. My wife and I rode out to Barber when they first opened and she got the long distance award riding from New Mexico. Beat out the New Englanders and Canadians! Prescott is nice but growing like crazy, and the rest of Arizona is starting to resemble Southern California. New Mexico is still pretty open but the nice places are pricey and the not so nice places are... not so nice and a long way from anything. Texas is huge and has a little of everything except mountains. If racing is still going to be part of the equation you might even consider Arkansas. Being a Native New Mexican I love it here but never recommend that anyone comes here :lol: , except to visit.
Robbie
<<

Tim 435

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 am

[quote="RUBONE"]Being a Native New Mexican I love it here but never recommend that anyone comes here , except to visit.
Robbie
Got it Robbie, don't want to cause a rush :wink: , Actually I have a brother that lives in Albuquerque, the weather there is pretty much in line with Prescott. You are right anywhere in the southwest is nice ! got a taste of it when I was stationed in Elpaso , defintely a world away from the northeast !
<<

Randall

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:27 pm

No mountains in Texas!!! Chinati Peak in the range where I live is 7,830 feet high and sometimes snow-capped in winter. Guess that will have to do until some real mountains come along.... :D
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Randall wrote:No mountains in Texas!!! Chinati Peak in the range where I live is 7,830 feet high and sometimes snow-capped in winter. Guess that will have to do until some real mountains come along.... :D

7,830 is a good sized bump. Ya have a long way to go to match CA's Mount Whitney with an elevation of 14,505 feet. :D
I have been on it, but I wouldn't wanna live there.
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 pm

Hmmmm, I live at 7000 ft and I am in the bottom of the valley! :mrgreen:
Robbie
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:18 pm

A good place to live? Not CA. We have too many people that came here to escape the bad weather already. No jobs, high cost of living. Stay away. Stay very far away. :D

Return to Shoot The Bull