FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

more cabin fever

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

X-WLCH

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:38 am

more cabin fever

First of all I’m glad that I could help Tim with his springer problem :) . There are lots of good ideas (I’m truly inspired by some) that come from this sight and although some are bad I think that all are given with good intent and all should be welcome.
I’ve been lurking about this site long enough. I should introduce myself.
I live between the finger lakes of New York State and it’s -5deg. (Fahrenheit) outside again today. I have a touch of the cabin fever and can’t wait for the Syracuse Super Swap next weekend.
I must confess that I have never owned an antique HD springer. In the old days I had an aftermarket that I thought worked well at the time, although it didn’t have a brake to cause any problems. Now I own 3 modern HD springers, 2 Paughco, 4 maybe 5 Furri girders 2 other girders and I use to own a nice shine CCW girder that now proudly sits on the front of somebody’s (no names I’ll just say “sporty pump sporty pump” :wink: ) beautiful Red 80 and some inch flathead chopper. I think you all saw pictures of it last year. If you were at Reinbeck last summer you may have seen one of my springers on my 47 WL. It was the one with the big twin rigid frame, magnum motor, 5 speed transmission, right hand tank shifter, and rattle 3and1/2 plate clutch. Mostly just a bunch of old parts that I had laying around; it’s a real swap meet special, and a sweet dependable ride.
Yes I was that obnoxious person riding through the crowd at Reinbeck scaring the little children and old ladies, :twisted: and having a blast doing it.
(I’ll be back next year).
Several of you know me from there or from Jefferson Pa. My name is Jim and I use to not be able to spell engineer but now I are one. I also enjoy a touch of good brandy on occasion and maybe that’s why I have this crazy little WLD with sport scout pistons project I’m working on now.
Ps: not all my ideas are good, (sport scout pistons?) but that won’t stop me from “discussing” them to the fullest. I’ve made and continue to make my share of stupid mistakes (.150” over!) that’s why I like this sight. The Harley knowledge here is phenomenal and as always it’s the racers (and a small group of true enthusiasts) of these old machines that drive the quest for answers as to how HD intended this stuff to work, and to make some improvements that keep them on the track and going down the road.

Let’s have fun and remember “10 years from now this will be the good old days”
and 3 monthe from now i may be able to ride again 8)
Jim
<<

amklyde

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 am

Re: more cabin fever

I'm thinking 2 months top, before the first cold ride of spring. I have one of my bikes (65 E-glide) stored at a friends house in town this year so I can ride when the weather permits. The hill at the end of my driveway stays too icy to navigate on two wheels well past warmer temps and dry roads.
<<

Tim 435

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 am

Jim, thanks again for the springer help, didn't know we were neighbors, we used to make it an annual ride up thru the finger lakes (beeeeeautiful riding country) to the Syracuse mile back in the J Springer days, saw the greatest racing at that track ! We've probably done some horse trading at Oley , hey are you the guy that was doing burnouts on the Knuck that pissed all the Indian guys off :lol:

amklyde wrote:I'm thinking 2 months top, before the first cold ride of spring. I have one of my bikes (65 E-glide) stored at a friends house in town this year so I can ride when the weather permits. The hill at the end of my driveway stays too icy to navigate on two wheels well past warmer temps and dry roads.
Klide after 20 yrs of sitting in a dark corner I'm finishing up a '65 E-glide, I sold the Twin cam and although a great bike I'm thru with the computerized, sensorized guru stuff ! Intend 3 daily riders, '65 E-G , '68 Triumph, and of course a 45 bobber, also have a Model A p/u driver but looking to upgrade to a '41 (with juice brakes and a heater !)..
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

X-WLCH

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:24 pm

mayby i'm just getting soft. It got up to a balmy 12 today and some guy went by on his motorcycle. :shock:

Return to Shoot The Bull