Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Sporties More XLCH numbers...

More XLCH numbers...

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:31 pm

Posts: 188
Location: sweden
Does anyone know how to interpret following numbers found on a -65 XLCH? First belly numbers, I'd guess the first says July -65 but what about the rest? The second pic is the neck casting, what do they mean?
Thanks Stefan.

Image
Image

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 pm

Posts: 2683
Location: Los Angeles, CA
epinut wrote:
Does anyone know how to interpret following numbers found on a -65 XLCH? First belly numbers, I'd guess the first says July -65 but what about the rest? The second pic is the neck casting, what do they mean?
Thanks Stefan.

Image
That is not a date code. It is a model code. 7 was a Sportster. 65 is the year. It was the 3531th set of cases matched and linebored. Numbering started at 1000.
Image

That is an Anti Theft number on the frame. You will also find one on the lower triple clamp.

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:47 am

Posts: 188
Location: sweden
Thank you Chris!

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:55 am

Posts: 188
Location: sweden
Chris Haynes wrote:

Image
That is not a date code. It is a model code. 7 was a Sportster. 65 is the year. It was the 3531th set of cases matched and linebored. Numbering started at 1000.


Btw, when did they start counting? Model year or calender year?

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:36 am

Posts: 2683
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Model year.

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 am

Posts: 188
Location: sweden
Chris Haynes wrote:
Model year.

Thanks again! Do you also know when the model year starts?

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 am

Posts: 2683
Location: Los Angeles, CA
epinut wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:
Model year.

Thanks again! Do you also know when the model year starts?


Production changeover is usually during June/July. But new models don't hit the streets till August/September

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:33 am

Posts: 188
Location: sweden
Once again, thank you very much Chris!


Return to Sporties