FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Timmingmark and Camposition

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

howie

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:30 am

Timmingmark and Camposition

hello to all of you
i rebuild my engin,i am in the phase to put the camcover on,but i am wondering at the location for the front excause cam,it´s open.i am shure i bring all cam marks right together,i ask myself and you :must i turn the engin one more round and then i can fix my firepoint ? or are there two marks on this cam.to ifo i found that all the cam marks are sitting not 100% together only 97%.
thanks forward for some help
best regards Howie
<<

37ULH

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Timmingmark and Camposition

The flywheel timing mark is referenced for timing the breather on the return pump only. After that, time the cams by the their respective marks. Should only be one mark on front ex cam.
<<

howie

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:39 am

hello and thanks 37ULH for fast answer
i hope i understand it right,now i put the flywheelmark in the middle of watch hole and push the small wheel on sprocketshaft 7/16 in so that my breatherhole is in place.than i turn the engin so that the sprocketshaft wheelmark is going together with intake back cylinder mark,now all cams are fine in position and at this job i dont think about the breather position.now i was watching the valveposition on front cylinder if fw mark is in hole,the cam"nocks"are short before to open the valves,i think thats not a good position for firepoint,than i make another turn round and now the intake front nock is showing to rightside(1/4 after open) and the excamnock is showing down(1/2 way pre and past to open).
i think this is the right place to set my firepoint.
what you say to this?
howie
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am

Howie, There is an easier way to get the "firing point" right. IF you have the cams in properly, and it sounds as if you do, Do this: With the cam cover on, rotate the engine in the normal direction until the timing mark comes into the "window". Both front tappets should be in a down position. If you're not sure, rotate the engine another revolution. If you will see the front exhaust tappet has raised up the front cylinder is now on the exhaust stroke and you were right, the previous stroke was the compression stroke. Simply rotate the engine one more time and you will be back on the compression stroke and ready to time the engine. Hope this helps.
DD
<<

fhsmith1

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 pm

howie

I ran into the same thing.

You may want to look at the post on ( side valve breather timing ) It was dated 10/6/07

F
<<

howie

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:08 pm

hello fhsmith1
i have found and read this post.and you are right,
i think i was thinking to difficult and wants to make it 110%,now i know first time the breather and than do step no 2.-cam timeing.
and Frankenstein i will test your way next day,and i will take an reply how it works (for and with me)
thanks for fast help
howie
<<

howie

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 am

hello again
i have found what you have wrote .my front piston start to going up and on his way up the intake is closeing.than he past the top and on the end of going down the ex valve is opening to hold open for the next way up.i turn thr engin one more to the compression stroke.
i feel fine now to fix the firepoint and will see how it works.
thanks to you
howie
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 am

Howie, glad to hear everything worked out o.k. Don't forget to post some pictures when she's ready to roar!
DD

Return to Big Twin Flatties