Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Converting kit Linkert

Converting kit Linkert

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm

I have a "converting kit" for Linkert, changing from "pushing" to "pulling" gas. And I can't figure out how to use it....It is just a few pieces and looks very simple but I'm stuck.

Here is a photo of the "kit" : ... GP4040.jpg

Anyone who knows?

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Am I right in guessing that this is meant to be used with a more modern throttle twistgrip, something like the 73-on Sportsters?
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:49 pm

the two pieces with half-round ends are presumably the cable clamp. The z-shaped strap is probably a spacer to put the cable more-or-less parallel to the centreline of the carb. The screw nipple is for the end of the control cable, to adjust the length against the throttle arm. The spring will go from the throttle arm to an anchor in whatever point seems feasible.

simplez !!
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:18 am

jepp,,,it has to be something like that.
I've seen the other type with a bracket from the top motor mount but this is new for me...
It might be a "neat" solution with this, but where is it ment to mount the items?

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 am

IIRC the Linkert 'push' cable is clamped to the top motor mount, then extends over the carb and pushes it R to L towards the back of the air cleaner.

from recollection the procedure is to take the disc actuating arm off and replace it the other way about, then pulling to towards the right would open the disc. In that case the cable clamp would be fixed to the original cable clamp bolt and the z-arm is the anchor for the return spring ( so probably fixed to one of the upper air cleaner bolts, or maybe the air cleaner backplate )
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to General Whatever-Technical