Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: A message from Eric buell.

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
<<

big john

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm

SAD, MY 99 S3-t and 2000 lightning are really fine bikes, . and buell was a very supportive company to thier riders
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:27 am

(I can 't open videos...)

It's not a suicide note, is it?

....Cotten
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:31 am

Cotten
HD is shutting down the Buell division. No more Buells will be built and when stock is gone there will be no more. HD will stand behind the warranty and will provide parts for an undetermined time frame. I felt really bad for Erik, he was just about in tears. I look for him to either buy the company back from HD, or go out o his own again one of these days.
They are also selling the MV Augusta division. I don't think they have even started changing things around over there. There is a sea change coming at Harley Davidson.
Curt!
<<

woody

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 am

HD just announced the other day that 3rd quarter sales were down 20%. I guess that the "Secret Handshake" didn't work out for them. I think that a lot of dealers that overspent on fancy palaces will go under and that those who have mistreated real riders in order to kiss the ass of yuppie scum wil get theirs.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:43 pm

woody wrote:HD just announced the other day that 3rd quarter sales were down 20%. I guess that the "Secret Handshake" didn't work out for them. I think that a lot of dealers that overspent on fancy palaces will go under and that those who have mistreated real riders in order to kiss the ass of yuppie scum wil get theirs.

They are already going under. I hear several in New England have alreadt perished. The new H-D mega store in Elk Grove, CA is a gonner.
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

If I were to be tossed off a sinking ship, I just as soon it was this close to land!

What's the technical aspect of this, relative to vintage American motorcycles?

Just curious.

...Cotten
<<

X-WLCH

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:38 pm

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HD GOING UNDER. AFTER THEY CLOSE THE YORK PLANT AND OPEN THE NEW ONE IN CHINA THEY WILL BE BACK IN THE MONEY.
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Cotten:
I don't believe these developments have any impact on the vintage motorcycle market. A lot of guys that own antique bikes also own newer Buells, Hd's and others, so posting this notice here is relevant to the forum. It's just a sign of the times that things are getting tough in the market. A lot of the Jesse James knockoff companies are going under, Sumax coatings and products is for sale, Ridley Motorcycle company has suspended production indefinitely, Yamaha and Honda have suspended their support of the Supercross racing series, Honda had closed their US assembly plant, HD had suspended appearances at many rallies and bike shows and has cut back their support of several racing series. Is all this going to impact the sales of parts manufactured 50 years ago? I think not. Will this impact companies that manufacture new aftermarket parts for old motorcycles. I think it will. When that happens the price of old parts will skyrocket, and that will affect those of us that ride and build relic iron.
HD is in no danger of going under, or filing bankruptcy.
Here's a couple excerpts from the 8-K

Through nine months, revenue from Harley-Davidson motorcycles was $2.62 billion compared to $3.23 billion in 2008 on shipments of 187,085 Harley-Davidson motorcycles, compared to 226,898 motorcycles in 2008. Revenue from Parts and Accessories totaled $623.1 million during the first nine months, down 11.8 percent and revenue from General Merchandise was $215.5 million during the nine-month period, down 12.0 percent compared to the year-ago period. Gross margin was 34.6 percent and operating margin was 14.1 percent, compared to 35.4 percent and 18.9 percent respectively in the year-ago period.
Retail Motorcycle Sales.During the third quarter, retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 21.3 percent worldwide, 24.3 percent in the U.S. and 13.1 percent in international markets, compared to the prior-year quarter. Industry-wide U.S. retail heavyweight (651cc+) motorcycle sales declined 35.9 percent during the quarter, compared to the year-ago period.

For 2009 compared to 2008 through nine months, retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 22.9 percent worldwide, 25.5 percent in the U.S. and 16.5 percent in international markets. Industry-wide U.S. retail heavyweight motorcycle sales declined 38.7 percent year to date in 2009, compared to 2008.

These numbers are far from a failing company. The actions the company is taking is to protect the core business. Times are tough in the motorcycle industry and these changes reflect the severe economical environment this world is in.
Curt!
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 am

all BUELLS are COLLECTOR now ! :D :wink:

Return to General Whatever-Technical