FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

kr on ebay

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

k dogg snr

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 am

kr on ebay

i spotted a kr harley barn find on ebay ..current bidding at 500 usd looks like a score ...dont know how to load pics sorry item 400076116885 listed as 1953 krm harley davidson desert racer worth a look 8)
<<

panic

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: kr on ebay

Last edited by panic on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

panic

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Last edited by panic on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi all,

Panic, I don't think KRMs had the race carb. The factory info I have talks about std K or KK cams being fitted originally depending on the depth of the owner's pockets, same for later KHRMs. KRM/KHRM bottom end is std Model K, 1/2 speed oil pump, roller bearings crank and cams on bushes.

From what I see of the cams in that tin box, they have the narrow gears, so most probably KK...

Not so sure the numbers are bad, the guy just cleaned the pad for photo...

Patrick
<<

RUBONE

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm

Panic,
Why even bother to post if you are going to delete them?
Robbie
<<

k dogg snr

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:49 am

having not had the chance to read removed comments i can only assume i got something wrong in the model numbers. i had only written down what was on the add... the seller said it was a krm ... hope someone scored it there is nothing like that way down here :)
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Well, someone got a bargain there, never mind the missing bits... Hope it's who I think he is...

- Race KRTT unmolested frame, see extra bracket on bottom right tube,just in front of tomahawk.
- One off (never seen before by me) top tree, cast as post 54 KH geometry, but machined as 52/53 K geometry, so probably a 53 one off, plus unusual adjustment nuts (factory de-facto testing on unsuspecting owners???).
- Genuine early KR gas tank with only one tap on the left hand side, so not your usual Sporty peanut tank.
- Milled down cylinder fins for huge Wico magneto, so it is indeed a KRM.

Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Those numbers are the same font as my KRM. I was bidding from my cell phone at around 03:45AM Tokyo time but kept dozing off then waking up and frantically trying to get the blasted thing to work! heh - perhaps poor connectivity was someone's idea of saying that I have too many projects already...

Great score indeed - I would have loved to dig through that pile of parts. A bit of big twin stuff in there too, no?
Can anyone identify the pivot/linkage with what looks like a casting number barely visible?
And that thing protruding from the cylinder base above the timing hole?

Would have been interesting to see the speedo/tach face without the glare.

That makes two interesting Ks sold recently, with the KHRM that sold a few weeks ago.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 am

suicideshovel65: And that thing protruding from the cylinder base above the timing hole?

Hi,

That's the elbow for the carb gas inlet. The speedo was missing its needle and showing just under 8000 miles...

Apparently, the Wico is still with the original owner, so might appear later.

Yoshi's KHRM did not reach its reserve, might still be available!!!

Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 am

Thanks Patrick!

Was the speedo a stock version, or one of the reverse-direction types I wonder?

I saw Yoshi's KHRM listed beforehand from a separate seller. The brake linkage looked different to others I have seen; as did the sidestand and coil/battery arrangement.

The pivot/linkage that I was asking about with the loose KRM parts looked somewhat similar to that on Yoshi's KHRM, passing beneath the horseshoe tank.

Just about every picture of the KRM and KHRM I have seen is different!
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:30 am

Let's face it, they were all made on a hadd-hock fashion, no assembly line!!!

Speedo was std item, white face and small diameter, no bracketry to see, so possibly a owner's add-on.

KHRM were fitted with a much bigger sump guard so they could't fit the std brake linkage underneath so it migrated under the oil tank, with umpteen factory variations of ugly braketry to hold footrest and pedal on the left, plus big twin type side stand on front engine plate as well.

But nothing to say that late KRMs did not have these bits, racers can't wait till model year end to get the improved versions!!!

Battery and coil ignition were owner's made later mods on Yoshi's to make it street legal, not too clever/aesthetic as the guy could have gone for the battery-less set up, recommended by the factory in 55. But it's period, should the next owner keep these bits on?????????????

Patrick
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 am

period mods on racers, ha ha, yes...

speaking with my 'vintage racer' hat on, I would say that if the appearance of the bike is more-or-less period and it is raceworthy, that's all that matters. OR, if it is a restoration for display rides or static demo, it should be as all-original as possible. Either would be acceptable.

I'd tend to feel that building an unoriginal bike for static demonstration or demo riding is a bit infra dig, but then again I'd rather see a working bike than a pile of parts or worse still, know it has been lost forever
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:40 am

Hi 45Brit,

I don't mind period mods/improvements as long as they look OK and well though after!!!

If you haven't seen Yoshi's KHRM, you wouldn't know that all the street add-ons have in fact been thrown at the bike and just about stuck wherever they landed!!! It's these unsighty mods by not too mechanically or aesthetically minded old owners I was talking to, what to do with them???

Keep them and get the odd comments or bin them!!!

Patrick
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:56 am

that's easy. Older machines with extensive, older modifications should be presented any way you see fit!

for me, I would tend to keep modifications that work, or look good in the sense of being nice workmanship. Poor work, things just hung off the bike with brackets made from dexion and whatnot, I would usually smarten them up or replace them. Sprinters are a case of this, because they are sometimes very crude in some respects, where things may have been temporarily attached and become incorporated in the machine; 30s to 50s grass bikes often have mudguards hacked down from street items, brackets tack-welded on at meetings, oiltanks parked out on the mudguard for accessibility, and so forth

I would make an exception in the case of specific machines which are well known; the works Triumph 'Slippery Sam', with its ad-hoc twin disc front end made from reversed single-disc parts, is a case in point..

re the machine you refer to as "Yoshi's KHRM", is that the very scruffy red-painted K-type sold on ebay about a month ago? See what you mean, if so. For me, and this is just a personal opinion, I would probably keep it much as-is but refinish it overall, do whatever needed doing mechanically and tidy up any special fabrications that looked interesting, on the asumption that this is a road-going conversion of a racing machine?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

k dogg snr

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:41 pm

it went for 2500 usd i wish it was mine :cry: who got it ? would love to see some pics up on here thanks
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:24 am

My friend didn't get the KRM, he was runner up bidder, couldn't afford to bid more... My guess is it's gone to Australia...

And Yoshi's KHRM:

Patrick

Return to K-Models