FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Indian numbers

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Neil74

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Indian numbers

I wonder if any one can help me here, I own two 1948 Indians, both titled thru Florida. The one has matching numbers and is titled CDH. The other has a blank engine case, no visible welds,grinding marks or such and is titled 348 from the frame numbers. Was told engine blew up an no stamps to re-enter numbers were available, have owned for 30 years. Is this normal or do I have a parts bike? This engine also has early sump pump case and 48 cam cover an oil pump.
<<

BONES47FL

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Indian numbers

Neil, I know Harley dealers obtained replacement cases, (blank on the number bosses), from the factory when a customer's cases blew out and they had to replace them, and they re-stamped the cases at the dealership. I would think Indian dealers operated the same way. Harley numbers stamp sets seem to be easier to find. If you're sure they are the correct cases for a '48, maybe some of the old heads/judging experts at AMCA could enlighten you a whole lot better regarding re-stamping than I ever could...Bones
<<

Neil74

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 am

Thanks Bones, These were checked 25 years ago for evidence of number removal an confirmed blank. They were assembled with an earlier set of cases tho, as it was run with 1947 style sump scraper an 1948 cam cover and oil pump. Since no stamps were available, Florida DMV issued a Title with the frame numbers instead of the motor numbers.
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:25 am

Neil

I have a serial number list of all bikes that were serviced or bought and sold thru a Midwest HD dealer from the late 30's until the mid 70's and as far as the Indians are concerned sometimes the serial number is the frame number and sometimes it is the engine number and sometimes it is both. I suspect it has to do with which state the bike was sold new in and the laws that existed then. It sure did not seem to matter. Standardized titling did not start coming around until about 1970.

Jerry
<<

Neil74

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks Jerry, add on to it the inept way our motor vehicle office is run and what a mess:) It's so confusing cause there seem to be many opinions as to what is right an wrong. Both in the real world and at DMV.:)

Return to Indians