FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is this legal???

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

George Greer

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:32 am

Is this legal???

Been looking around for an alternate to buying a over prices set of knuckle cases that are questionable at best.

Is this legal to license and run once a bike's built around it??

For my friends in Germany, same question, and how would TuV look at it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-PAN- ... 06.c0.m245

George
<<

panic

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Is this legal???

It's several different felonies.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:44 am

At least those numbers don't belong to me. AAOK must have had their lawyers look at this ad before it was posted, don't you think?
<<

panic

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:54 am

Last edited by panic on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cane

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hi George, It seems to me that titling a special construction out of a set of after-market cases would be legal. However basing a title on the numbers on that vin pad would not be. Even if one were able get title using those cases and a state assigned vin, I would not like to try to explain that my bike with the apparent vin of a stolen bike is in fact not the stolen bike in question, and that those numbers on what would normally be the vin pad are not the vin numbers at all, and certainly not those of my bike, but just decoration to make my bike more authentic. If I had to have a Harley formatted vin, I would start with an original Factory stamped vin. Good luck.
<<

mbskeam

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:16 pm

I just asked him this....

does this come with the title to the vin that you stamped in this case?

mbskeam

well see what the answer is....

mbskeam
"life is hard......it's harder if you're stupid"
http://www.geocities.com/mbskeam/
<<

panic

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I see no one is listening.
<<

Kurt

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:50 pm

<<

George Greer

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 pm

panic wrote:I see no one is listening.

It is damn hard to when you and others delete their posts..

Say what you got to say and leave it......or don't post anything.

George

PS. I just saw the ad an had to ask, but it did not look correct to me, How could you come up with that VIN and sell it, when somewhere out there the REAL Harley is still running and properly licensed.
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 am

errrmmmm ... if George is in Germany then answers about US licensing are only relevant insofar as they might affect the export of this item.

unless US Customs would be likely to impound it as stolen, it probably doesn't matter. Of course, if they are, it's very much to the point.

how TuV would view it, I have no idea. My feeling would be that you could either;

(a) register it on a Q plate in the UK, provided you had enough receipts for the main components of the build-up
(b) get a UK age-related registration, but this would be difficult and unlikely

in either case, you could then get a German registration based on having a UK registration and the US provenance would be irrelevant.

Holland has been a centre for registering bikes of dubious provenance for as long as I can remember, and I passed my driving test in 1971....
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

44u

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:04 pm

The only way I would feel even slightly comfortable with this would be if there was a heavy paper trail behind it and a 100% verfiable source as to where the original cases and numbers went.

A long, long time ago I owned a '60 XLCH. I discovered a few years later there were 2 other '60 XLCHs with the same VIN numbers; one in OK (the legal one belonging to me), one in KS, and another in CA.
I have no idea who, how, what, or why this occurred but it did make me a bit nervous even though I owned the original bike with unaltered VIN.

(It's believed that someone took a paper and pencil tracing or stencil for a pattern, stamped those numbers into another set of cases (maybe more than one set of cases) and went through a special construction procedure.)
<<

cane

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:57 am

How did you find out about the other bikes?
<<

MarkBranst

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 am

God d*** it! Please eliminate the EDIT/DELETE function from this list! Leave those functions entirely at the discretion of the ADMINISTRATORS. Period. If you don't have the balls to leave your post up here for eternity, then don't put it up!

Mark

Return to Pans