FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

offset bearing cups

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:43 am

offset bearing cups

there's a thread going about offset ( raked ) steering head bearings on a Sporster on the HDRCGB forum at present.

I'd feel these are fundamentally unsound because;

(a) there is no practical value to fitting extended forks to a Sporty anyway
(b) having your steering geometry dependent on something pushed into the steering head is counter to the usually accepted principle that the frame's main purpose is to provide a fixed relationship between the wheels, and jig construction provides the best control of this at construction stage
(c) there's a comment about 'the misalignment being distributed over 180 degree' which frankly, I can't make any sense of

thoughts, anyone?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

panic

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:21 am

Re: offset bearing cups

I appreciate the thought, but using facts and physics to argue with posers is banging your head against the wall. "How well it works" isn't even on the same page as "how kewl it looks, dude".
Let's remember the dominant influence here: Willy G. over-rode the engineering dep't. and 125 years of chassis research, and chose the fork angle of the biggest product development outlay in 20 years based on styling.
<<

s eagle

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:01 am

panic wrote:I appreciate the thought, but using facts and physics to argue with posers is banging your head against the wall. "How well it works" isn't even on the same page as "how kewl it looks, dude".
Let's remember the dominant influence here: Willy G. over-rode the engineering dep't. and 125 years of chassis research, and chose the fork angle of the biggest product development outlay in 20 years based on styling.

panic,

I hate to sound like a neophyte, but can you please explain specifically what you’re alluding to in the highlighted text above?
Steven

1946 knucklehead
1976 shovelhead
2006 road king

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery.
<<

Kev UK

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm

s eagle wrote:

panic,

I hate to sound like a neophyte, but can you please explain specifically what you’re alluding to in the highlighted text above?

I suspect he means the Super Glide; the bastard child of an overweight chassis mated to inadequate front forks. In other words, the triumph of style over substance.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

79FLH

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:59 am

I was guessing that it was the 'Soft-tail' chassis.

I would have thought that 'development' spending on the Super Glide chassis was about fourpence ha'penny, apart from a new set of bearing cups to match the different steering stems?
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:43 am

I'd rather think Panic's talking about the abortion called the V Rod!!!

Patrick
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 am

so many choices....
<<

s eagle

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 pm

After reading the responses, and rereading panic's post, I have to go with the V-rod.
Steven

1946 knucklehead
1976 shovelhead
2006 road king

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery.
<<

RUBONE

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:03 pm

45 Brit,
The Superglide cups are the same as Electra-Glide, The stem was changed to big-twin specs. Still dirt cheap.
I vote for the V-Rod as the biggest POS. I was excited about the new engine until I saw what it was housed in.
Robbie
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:58 pm

ok, make that fourpence three-farthings
<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Yup - V-Rod, his decision to make the fork angle match parts of the chassis... as a fashion statement.

Today he looks like Willie Nelson.
When I looked like that, 40 years ago, he was a little nerd-boy with a crew cut, Elvis Costello glasses and a bow tie.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 am

Patrick
<<

Kozy

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:46 am

"Willie's" comments in the 1967 ad seem to run contrary to what he did with the V-Rod geometry but he did go to styling school rather than engineering school!
<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 am

In future, let's just save the time and trouble and simply agree that I'm wrong, shall we?
Much better.
Last edited by panic on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 pm

panic wrote:Posing isn't a school - it's the conceit that you have better taste than your customers, and they should pay you to impose it upon them.

All "new" or "improved" products are created by people that believe that they have better ways of designing or producing a given product ... In many of those cases the underlying theme HAS to be that you have "better taste than your customers" or at least your competitors ... Whether I would call that "conceit" or not is a very different question. NOBODY forces a customer to accept their "taste" ... that always remains at the discretion of the customer. Willie has been very, very successful at marketing his taste, whether you like it or not ... On the other hand, the aftermarket proves that not everybody agrees, as does the continued presence of a lot of other motorcycle companies.

Mark
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 am

panic's use of 'conceit' makes pefect sense in the British English sense of a concept or point of view, as well as the sense of 'sense of self-importance', I don't know how it scans in US English.

I'm afraid Willie G, and the train of thought he embodies, is the reason I lost interest in modern Harleys.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 am

Most of the time, progress just equals made cheaper on a budjet...

Then the sales teams try to disguise "defects" as "better engineering", like 5 or 6 speed gearbox versus old 3 or 4, modern Zamac type diecast crankcases versus old sand cast ones etc... Only posers can swallow such bitter pills for the sake of fashion...

There's a huge difference between Cult and mere fashion...

Patrick
<<

amklyde

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:59 am

Obviously none of you characters have ever spent any time on a V-Rod. I have never met anyone that actually put some miles on one, that didn't come to enjoy and respect the ride, including myself.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:47 am

Hi amklyde

LOL!!! Wonder then why they're such poor sellers???? Here in GB, nobody want them apparently...

Patrick
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm

amklyde wrote:Obviously none of you characters have ever spent any time on a V-Rod. I have never met anyone that actually put some miles on one, that didn't come to enjoy and respect the ride, including myself.

I was going to say something to that effect but chose not to based on bias towards the bike, but since you said something amklyde I will.

It's a good riding bike.....it's f--king fast and I personally would love to own a factory hot rod.

If the design is so screwed up and Willie G threw out decades of factory engineering.....well.....he did it right.
The one I road handled great at low speeds putting through town, and at 130 mph I wasn't afraid one bit.
So if the geometry is messed up....it works anyway.

Hell....they're running high 10's low 11's out of the crate. The Destroyer is over 165 hp......

Let's see a hot rodded knuckle with no suspension mods do that.......all day.
Next

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"