FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Converteing Mechanical to Juice

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Psycobilly

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Converteing Mechanical to Juice

I had a conversation with Steve today, and it sure was good to hear his voice. My question to him was "Can a mechanical rear end be converted to Hydraulic?" Well, in a nutshell, we concluded that it would require some spacers, and a little head scratching. My question to my fellow board members is, How would you do it?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Converteing Mechanical to Juice

Buy a juice brake rear end and bolt it in. Weld a bracket on the frame for the master cylinder. and make the linkage.
<<

Psycobilly

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Chris,
Okay! I didn't make it clear. I have a juice frame, brackets and all. I am trying to get input on the rear end. I can bolt on the mech. rear, right on. I am wanting to know why I can, or can't convert, a mechanical rear to hydraulic. They're are a few spacing issues, due to the length of the axles. That can be established by, comparing the two. Mainly' the only issue is a spacer, to offset the backing plates.
I do apologize, as this is the only problem we have so far. With the next problem, being where to find the parts. I guess it is a supply problem. You can find mechanical rears, much cheaper, and easier, than Hydraulic, but I would much rather have the hyd. stopping power. I thank you for your input, but I must ask that we dig deeper.
<<

Buster

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:26 am

The mounting flanges on the axle housings where you mount the backing plates are different. Everything from backing plate flange out is different. Also on mechical brakes, the taped end of the axles fit into the wheel hub and on juice brakes the end of the axle fits into the brake drum. I know anything can be done, but you would have to modify these flanges to mount juice brake backing plates and drums. Also the drums (in good shape and not warped) are hard to find and expensive. I would sell the mechanical unit and buy juice brake unit, or what about converting the mechanical unit to disc brakes. I could be wrong, maybe their will be some other opinions. Good luck with it.
<<

Psycobilly

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Good thought Buster! I've actually seen one on ebay recently, but there, were no good pictures. I have really just thought about going mechanical. I still would like to hear some tech on converting to discs. HMMM! Thanks for giving the spinning wheels, some traction Buster.
<<

Buster

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:11 pm

I would like to hear some more stuff on disc brake conversion also. I know the center hubs seperate from the brake drums on juice brake drums. These hubs will bolt onto the tapered end of your axles and have the bolt pattern in them for later model hydralic brake wheels (solid rim stock or Ford car hub pattern). I would think an adapter could be made to bolt a auto disc to the servicar center hub. I would like to hear what mix of stock auto disk brake parts are used for the conversion. There would have to be some type of adapter plate made to bolt to the backing plate flanges on the axle housings to hold caliper. I have seen ads in AMCA magazine classified for a person that sells conversion kit, but do not know who it is. Also do not know if they make he conversion kit to fit both hydralic or mechanical brake axle housings.
<<

Psycobilly

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:11 pm

Cool. I bet someone here has some information. I know a few AMCA members here, I'll shoot them the information.
<<

alex

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 pm

the housings are diffrent. axles and inner pumpkin looks the same and frame has a bracket hope this helps
<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Last edited by panic on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

alex

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 pm

ohh hydraulic shocks me forgot ..that to.. I put a dual frontdisk on mine to add some more stoppingpower :D
Last edited by alex on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

sleeper

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Re: Converting Mechanical to Juice

alex wrote:ohh hydraulic shocks me forgot ..that to.. I put a dual frontdisk on mine to add some more stoppingpower :D

If you mean in the rear, that is only for the box. the frame is rigid otherwise...

Did you add "raked trees" ? or is neck raked ?
<<

alex

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 pm

i figured if he want to go all the way he might aswell put the additional shocks on there to make it all more "correct" no raked trees sir .. maby the angle of the picture
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Looks out there a bit more than stock to me also. Maybe the lack of the engine weight to colapse the forks ? Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Converting Mechanical to Juice

There is a reason HD used raked trees for the Servis' perhaps you may find out when it's complete :?:
<<

alex

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 am

Didnt knew that ! i assume it has todo with handeling ?? If it dont work we have to get it to work ..But then again i never have seen a springer that was offset
<<

alex

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:38 pm

If i put the engine in it comes down thats correct Pa, I have the engine rebuild iam just more in the process right now of finding out how to get a title for my other flathead i bought the bottom for that one a couple of years ago with a notorized bill of sale but it has a xxminnxxxx on the boss.In my understanding that can be a number the state gave to a recoverd from stolen motorcycle..or someone that had no adequate paperwork and that it got a new vin. The engine i build for the trike has verry beautifull numbers that juss like the other cases come up clean but iam not friends nomore with the gentleman I traded the cases from and, I dont have no bill of sale for those. Iam Dutch and uptill about 8 years ago I lived in the Netherlands so i try to get a little familiar with the ins and out ont how to get legal on the road before I proceed .Sorry its a bit of topic,
Alex
<<

panic

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Last edited by panic on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

alex

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:11 pm

I didnt know that Panic.. iam not shure if i ever will be able to ride it to be honest
<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Converting mechanical brake rearends to hydraulic (disc) brakes isn't hard to do ,been done since 1988.A mechanical rearend can use the stock H-D wheels or the automotive type wheels,it depends on what you desire. Machining the housing is required,no big deal, hubs are available for automotive wheels,spacers (adapters)are required to use the H-D wheels. Brackets depend on what size rotors are used and what calipers are used. Contact SPORTS SPECIALTIES(website is in process) or e-mail at hd194647@yahoo.com. BREWSKI

Return to Servi-Cars