OK, this is weird. The shovel (77 FXE) has developed a REALLY frustrating and debilitating problem. Out of the blue, the clutch adjustment is going limp. I'm cruising along and the clutch lever gets more and more play until there is no disengagement (a visual "stretch" of about 1/4" inch play at the lever). First time, aggravating but I've had clutches go out of adjustment before, no biggie, right ? Remove the derby and tighten up the clutch rod nut cause it must have backed off for some reason. Works Great ! Lasts approximately 5 miles. Problem repeats, another 1/4" of play at the lever. Damn ! Has to be the cable adjuster, lock nut has to have backed off and let the cable housing move. Check it, it looks OK, breaks (too) easy with a wrench; Well, we'll just readjust the cable and lock her down with Red Locktite. Works Great ! Lasts about 15 miles. Problem repeats, another 1/4 of play ... S O B ! OK, gotta get it home, back under the derby, remove the slack, lock her down, head for home (return trip from previous 15 miles). Halfway home I've got play again and I "crashing" gears to shift (mostly trying to stay in third).
Here's the deal, I can only come up with so many explanations
1. the cable is stretching exponentially - highly unlikely
2. the clutch arm is slowly bending forward - highly unlikely
3. the clutch adjusting nut is backing off, repeatedly, highly unlikely but ... possible, however doesn't appear to be the case as its not loose when I check it.
4. clutch cable adjuster is backing off, repeatedly, highly unlikely but ... possible, however doesn't appear to be the case as its not loose when I check it.
5. clutch rod is disintegrating inside the trans, haven't checked this but .. COME ON ! The probability of this is too minuscule to contemplate, isn't it ?
6. Your guess goes here ............................
Thanks for any and all thoughts