FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PA - DELETION OF POSTS

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:57 am

PA - DELETION OF POSTS

Pa

I've edited a few posts individually and the fact is, I do have a job to do. It would be much quicker and simpler if you simply deleted all my posts plus all quotes ( which I believe you can do quickly and simply as a moderator with admin privileges? )
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

panic

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:28 am

Re: PA - DELETION OF POSTS

Please delete all of mine, and all quotes, as well.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:17 am

When you delete a post from a thread the thread then makes no sence. People are ressponding to something that isn't there. It would be much easier if you just monitored yourself and refrained from posting.
<<

Neil74

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

:) Romper Room:)
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:47 am

Take your time 45Brit. My clock is really slow. :wink:

Panic........ NO ! :shock:
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Pa... well I posted that 'cos.. oh, you know why. I was going to send you a PM you might find amusing, but I don't send PMs that don;t get read, well only to my kids :D
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm

45Brit wrote:Pa... well I posted that 'cos.. oh, you know why. I was going to send you a PM you might find amusing, but I don't send PMs that don;t get read, well only to my kids :D

Yes I know why. My kids don't read mine either.
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Why don't we all try to treat each other with a little more respect? Nobody needs the trash talking that seems to becoming more and more frequent on here. Before you hit the post button read your post and consider the consequences.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Now there is some wisdom ! :D Thanks Curt ! Pa
<<

ohio-rider

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 am

What we have here is a failure to communicate. It is such a shame that all the knowledge held by these individuals who are unable to be open minded enough to even consider anyone else’s thoughts is being wasted. Also it is a shame these folks can’t just stand back and look how childish it all appears to the rest of us. Sure these people have lots of book smarts but you have zero people skills. These folks must have never been allowed to play sports when they where young because they can’t understand how to be a team player.

Listen if you guys can’t get along then go ahead and erase all your posts and your quotes and hit the road. Just leave the rest of us that come here trying to learn something alone. I guarantee you no ones bike will stop running if you guys never come back here. :evil:

P.S.... Pa, Feel free to delete this if it sounds to harsh for certain sensitive ears.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:46 am

Not harsh at all Steve. Some have good cause to remove certain posts. Forum rules allow deletions. That hasn't changed yet. Been that way for many many years now. I personally believe all material should remain, except slanderous, vulgor, obscene, and ethnic, nationality, gender, or race attacks. If I make an ass out of myself, I'll do my best to admit it and correct it. We'll have the common cat fight now and then. Seems everyone, has that time of the month, every now and then though. Pa
<<

ohio-rider

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Yeah Pa your right, we all get a bit crappy from time to time and our patience can get worn thin pretty quickly. That’s just what happened to me in my last post. I’m not in the best of moods because that darn young kid from down your way just beat my 45 in our yearly show down again this week end. Say! You haven’t been doing his tuning on that flathead of his have you? :)
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Me doin his tuning ? Not a chance Bro. I'd be helpin you out instead. Don't take the woopin to hard. There is always the next time. :wink:
<<

panic

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:28 am

I've explained, many times, exactly why I delete posts.
And, as demonstrated yet again by the remarks above, no one paid any attention.
Does this seem rude? No, it grants the most favorable of the possible reasons:
1. they didn't read it
2. they didn't understand it
3. they would object to anything I say

Most frequently, a deletion is followed by a false, gratuitous, and badly motivated comment such as "because you knew you were wrong" (thus proving not only the rudeness, but ignorance and incompetence of the speaker - who simply has insufficient grasp of the subject).
If I make a mistake - I not only correct it, but flag it so that everyone reads it.

As to social skills: I have, many times, invited others closely to examine the sequence of dialog, and to determine for themselves what I already know - I am not, ever, the first person to make a rude, personal, ad hominem attack, but I certainly will respond in kind when one is made against me. I'm still waiting for any sign that reason will prevail.
Sample exchange:
Original post: "2 + 4 = 7"
My response: "no, it's not. The correct answer is 6."
Answers: "You think you know everything", "my Uncle Bubba has been doing this for 500 years, and I guess he knows more than you'll ever know", "I've always done it this way and never had a problem - what makes you so smart", "In the real world you learn things that you can't learn from books".
Please note that not only are these responses rude, but none of them explains their original error, or even attributes it to a reliable source (I don't know Uncle Bubba).
This is simply the confusion of fact (which I gave: unwavering, true when Pythagoras said it, still true 500 years from now) and opinion (value may be anything from exactly right but without a valid basis, such as me guessing how much money is in your pocket to utterly wrong).

The reverse is also common.
I say "I prefer a 4 speed to a 3 speed", and some learned person tells me that extra gears do nothing, and are a waste of time.
He has answered what I identified as my opinion, not with his opinion (always appropriate) but with a statement that he identifies as fact, but is not.
Here, I would delete my post - what's the point of discussion?
Last edited by panic on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:52 pm

In general, I have great respect for those on here who willingly give a lot of time and thought to share their hard-earned knowledge. I for one am most grateful for the assistance and guidance, and I'm sure I speak for many others.

However, I would beg a little more tolerance from a few members for those (including myself at times! :oops: ) who ask what seems to them to be a perfectly reasonable question, only to suffer the scorn of those who know all the answers! :wink:

We all had to learn once! :)
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

79FLH

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

panic

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm probably guilty here.
There are ways of asking questions that appear, rather than ask for information, instead to posit "This is what I'm going to do. Please tell me that it's a good idea, and that I'm right".
After a few thousand questions, the pattern is detectable, in which any answer differing from the intent of the speaker ("this won't work, why are you doing this, this question was asked an answered 5 times last week") will be ignore or challenged.

There is also another variant, in which if the answer is not welcome, the question will simply be asked again, and again, until someone validates the speakers opinion (which is basically how Congress works).

I try not to answer these at all.

How to get a more helpful response:
1. describe what you have (engine, etc.)
2. tell us what the problem is (no spark, clutch slips, too rich), and under what conditions (hot/cold, just before I changed this other thing)
3. tell us what you did so far (new coil, re-set float)
4. tell us what your search returned, if anything (but at least that you tried)
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 pm

don't ask me... I still play veterans rugby and I've played rugby for school and college, plus occasional grid-iron football as an exchange student, I was quite good at bar billiards at one time ( does that count? ) and I went bowling the other day, so I'm claiming exemption on the grounds of ohio-riders' amendment.....
<<

ohio-rider

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:17 pm

OK... I guess I had that coming. Man, I thought you where serious till you mentioned the bowling part. :mrgreen:
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey Panic:
That was a very good post. Hope it's helpful to those seeking information. I sure wish you'd reconsider deleting other good information just because someone challenges you view, or simply wants a more down-to-earth explanation. Lots of times you speak in terms that are over my head.
Curt!
<<

panic

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Lots of times you speak in terms that are over my head.

Sorry, not my intention - sometimes I don't realize that the most precise quasi-engineering term isn't all that helpful.
Just ask!
Next

Return to Talk To Us