FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Reasons Why You Should Sell Ur Bike lol..

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

sleeper

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Reasons Why You Should Sell Ur Bike lol..

Reasons Why You Should Sell Your Bike (Yea Right).......

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 04:00 AM PDT

It seems this slow economy has some politicians thinking with their butt rather than their head (well more than they usually do). Not only do some in Congress think that it would be a good idea to add motorcycles into the “Cash For Clunkers” program. Supposedly that would help the environment by getting gas guzzling pollutant spewing vehicles off the road. What it really would do is help the automakers sell more new cars.

Now the Honorable Governor Schwartzenegger of California has made a suggestion to some of his constituents suffering through this financial slowdown. Hey, if you need some extra cash to help pay your bills why don’t you just sell your motorcycle! That’s a good idea because there are loads of people looking to buy bikes right now.

In his letter to the “Gov”, Tim Buche the President of the Motorcycle Industry Council brings up some great points countering the sell proposal. He also gives examples of how some cities have embraced the idea of getting people to ride their motorcycles. It would be sensible if more cities and states adopted some of these ideas. Here’s an excerpt from that letter:

“Whether you ride or not, everyone can appreciate what a two-wheeler does for the environment versus a car, even a hybrid.

It starts with hundreds or even thousands of pounds less in raw materials, and that can include the toxic elements used in hybrid car batteries. There’s less energy required to ship a motorcycle from factory to dealership. With smaller engines and fewer components, there’s less use of motor oil and chemicals throughout the life of the bike. And, of course, there’s less use of gasoline, as a motorcycle or scooter can get two, three, sometimes four times the MPG of four-wheelers using the same roads.

Less fuel use means less CO2 emissions, now recognized as a pollutant and long known to cause climate change. Altogether, motorcycles are very green machines, capable of everyday transportation (particularly in sunny California) while minimizing waste.

Motorcycles reduce traffic congestion and parking problems, benefiting all manner of motorists. In California, the only state to permit lane-sharing, motorcycles can continue through stopped traffic, thereby saving time, aggravation and fuel. This also reduces pollution, as motorcycles don’t just have to sit there with an idling engine while getting nowhere.

Not far from Sacramento, the city of San Francisco is a showcase for all the benefits of motorcycling. There are no bridge tolls for riders during commuting hours. There are thousands of designated motorcycle parking spaces, each one costing far less per hour than car spaces. Motorcycles are allowed to sensibly park where cars can’t. The SF Municipal Transportation Authority recognizes that motorcycles help keep the city moving.

Worldwide, many other cities have taken advantage of these same benefits. As American roadways inevitably become more green with regard to choice of vehicles, we also should embrace more motorcycling.

Motorcycling is much more than a weekend thrill for enthusiasts, customizers and collectors. Motorcycles are a practical part of the answer to our economic and ecological troubles.”

Of course these ideas from the government come as the price of gasoline is rolling back towards record profits levels.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Reasons Why You Should Sell Ur Bike lol..

--
Last edited by 45Brit on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 am

45Brit wrote:be careful what you wish for, in case you get it.... there was at one time, a huge market for commuter bikes and runabouts. Of course, H-D wasn't part of this... ignoring it, at a time when they had effectively lost the ability to make small reliable commuter bikes cheaply, cost the British industry dearly.

If someone will take one or two prominent contributors aside and lock them in a dark room for a short while, I'll suggest that the Honda 90 and its derivatives has been the most significant motorcycle design of the past 50 years....

On the contrary.......Harley Davidson decided to keep the brand name, in it's well renowned class of motorcycles, BUT !!! They encouraged their dealerships to combine their shops, with Honda motorcycles, especially during the late 60's and 70's. And why would Harley Davidson encourage and permit, dearlerships, with their name and registered logos on them, to do this ? They didn't have to redesign an already reliable smaller motorcycle ! They saved money, by making money, from those, already well designed, smaller motorcycles. This is what very effectively is. HD did not waste investments on engineering, designing, tooling, and manufacturing. They cut into the already baked pie. And how do I know this ? My best friend at the time worked for Mc Mahon's Harley Davidson Honda, of 613 7th Ave., Beaverfalls, Pennsylvania, throughout that period of Harley Davidson's history. You would enter the main door and the Harley Davidson models would be to your right. To the left were the Honda models. Pa

The new store front today

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:58 am

45Brit wrote:If someone will take one or two prominent contributors aside and lock them in a dark room for a short while, I'll suggest that the Honda 90 and its derivatives has been the most significant motorcycle design of the past 50 years....

Sorry, But your Honda 90 isn't legal on freeways here.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 am

--
Last edited by 45Brit on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm

45Brit wrote:no, but the biggest selling motorcycle in history is.. the Honda 250/305/ 350 series, development funded from the profits of the Cub

Where did you get that gem of a statistic? There ain't no way that's a fact.
Curt!
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 am

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/05/honda-sells-its/

actually it seems that its the Honda Cub after all, 60 million now sold.
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am

Brti
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about motorcycles.
Curt!
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:25 pm

someone, somewhere will probably not like this but actually, I am a bit of a fan of these little gadgets. We have a thing over here, moped speedway, with 90cc Hondas on a 150m-ish dirt track, and it's a hoot. Honda have also won the Maudes Trophy - an ACU trophy which is basically about reliability and usually involves a 24-hour road run, track testing and so forth, with a team of Cubs straight off a dealer's floor.

H-D have never won the Maudes Trophy, nor have Indian....

Mind you, Fred Warr ( the then-HD dealer ) won the Circuit des Pyrenees on a police-spec shovelhead Electra Glide, so fair play to him for that :D

ok here's the link about the 350cc Honda.. http://www.honda350k.com/ I remembered reading this in Motor Cycle ( the US one ) a long while ago. Add in the CB250 version, which was the same machine with reduced bore and stroke, and the earlier 305cc Hawk, and that's a LOT of sales...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Had a 71 SL350 Honda. Road it everywhere, off road, hill climbing, on road, and even all winter. Gets mighty cold here in Ohio . Miss that little bike. Dependable machine it was. Like to find another, exactly as it was. Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:29 pm

this is a metaphor for the times, I think. I remember having one of the early Toyota Landcruisers, an FJ45, working on land rigs in the Middle East in the 1970s. I moved across from a Land Rover - even now my heart sinks a little when I think I might get issued with one of these on a job :( - it was great!! It had seat-shaped seats, doors that stayed shut when you went over a bump, enough power to get out of its own way, and best of all you could get in it in the morning and just not think about whether it would still be going at the end of the day.. lovely.

There were still quite a few war-surplus Jeeps kicking around at that time, my brother and I bought one in still in the crate ( from memory, for about £70 ) at an auction in about 1972, I passed my driving test in it - wouldn't try that now :D wish I still had it.. if only so's I could sell it for what they make now.....

Return to Shoot The Bull