FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Magneto for Flatheads

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

redromad

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 am

Magneto for Flatheads

ALLCON,
I'm looking for some info about Flatheads and mags. I know that they are built for 45's but are they made for the BT Flatties as well? And if so what models will they fit? I was interested in possibly getting one.

Thanks, Red
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Magneto for Flatheads

A Sportster Fairbanks-Moorse mag will bolt on to your U model.
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Joe Hunt Magnetos and Morris Magnetos,both make execlent copies of the original F-M magneto using Rare Earth Magnets which give a hotter spark at starting.
I mold the unbreakable caps for both of them.

Bruce
http://www.enfieldracing.com
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com
<<

redromad

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Is it just U models or will the mags work with VL as well? If not then what is it that makes them incompatible?

Red
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 pm

redromad wrote:Is it just U models or will the mags work with VL as well? If not then what is it that makes them incompatible?

Red

The UL's have an ignition timer the sits on top on the engine just like the Sportster. The VL is hiden under a tin cover on the side
<<

redromad

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Is there any magneto or after market distributor that will work with the VL?

Red
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Red,
Short answer is no, long on is how deep are your pockets?
Robbie
<<

redromad

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Ok, I'm ready...Give it to me straight
<<

Chuck Sumner

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 am

I too, have a original F-B magneto I want to run on a 46 UL bobber. Can I put Joe Hunt magnets in the Fairbanks-Morris mag?
<<

panic

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:06 am

Joe Hunt magnets
I'll bet it can be done, but it should be re-magnetized afterward (as is true with any major disassembly).

There's just no room to run a mag where the VL has the breaker, but it can be run in front off the generator drive just like a UL. All the parts are either very $$$ or hard to make.
This leaves you with either no lights at all, running off a charged battery, or adapting an alternator to your primary drive.

Why do you want to do this?
<<

redromad

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:15 am

I don't necessarily want to do it but was asking why it can't be done. Call it ignorance to all the intracasies of BT Flatheads. Just want to learn.

Thanks, Red
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Fairbanks-Morse is the original manufacturer, both Joe Hunt and Morris continued with the design. Parts will all interchange with a little fiddling. As Panic says, re-magnetize the rotor for best results, and never whack it with a hammer!!
Robbie
<<

Urganb

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 pm

redromad wrote:Ok, I'm ready...Give it to me straight
Hi. I have converted F.M. mags to replace points ign. on VLs. It is somewhat involved and time consuming to fabricate. Armature needs to be thru drilled and tapered. New camshaft for rear exhaust camgear fabricated and hardened. Also cam cover needs welding on inside to securely mount mag housing .New bushing in cam cover .Bushing has to be lined honed.They work excellant,Easy to time or adjust timing.They actualy look like they belong there.They start instantly,and i can also fabricate a manual,internal advance unit ,if you want to impress your buddies at you favorite watering hole with the distintive slow idle of the old time Harleys.(otherwise they start and run at full advance) As There are quite a few cam covers out there in need of repair, (I can handle most welding and machine work )Do NOT waste a cherry one as welding inside and slight machining at points base is necessary.(requires a dead flat surface at mag mounting and even the nice covers show wear at this location ) This would be a winter project as am still rather busy. (and real old) Contact if any intrest ) 8)

Return to Big Twin Flatties