FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help with Valve Covers

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

HAWKEYE

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 pm

Help with Valve Covers

The other night I was checking out an excess amount of oil coming from the right side of my '42 UL that has just been rebuilt and found the front intake valve cover (bottom) was cock-eyed. I pulled on it a little and it popped off. I replaced it and pushed it back in place but the bottom does not conform to the lower block's shape so it does not seat within the lip. Is this cover bent, upside down, or what? I don't know if it is original or a repop. Should I try to bend it to fit or just try to find a better fitting replacement?
HAWK
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Help with Valve Covers

Hawkeye, I'll ask a couple of dumb questions just to see if I have the picture. First, I've never had the lower sliding cover "pop off" before. I'm assuming that it slid out of the upper cover? We are talking about the spring loaded type 40-48 years?
Is the cup washer type ring that fits on top of the tappet block cast in ring in place? From your description you make it sound as if the lower cover was trying to seal directly onto the cast iron ring of the tappet block.
So, either I misunderstood your description, or you're missing the cup washer ring, which would be part of your problem.
DD
<<

HAWKEYE

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Ok, I have gone to the books to better discribe the parts. The part that was working it's way off was the half-circle shaped "clip" with the square hole in it. It sits on top of the flange of the inner valve cover sleeve pressing it against the cork gasket that is held in the retainer on the bottom. The clip is bent, it does not fit inside the lip of the retainer cup so it is not transmitting the proper pressure to the flange to seal against the gasket. I have been working on it for the last few days and I've gotten it to seal better.

HAWK
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:15 pm

OK Hawk, got the picture now, figured it must be communication error. Another problem is the upper cover can get bent where it sits under the spring/collar, so the ass'y misaligns over the tappet block. I've never had the best of luck with these covers, mine always seemed to weep a little. Wish you better luck
DD

Return to Big Twin Flatties