FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Electric start parts

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chuck Sumner

Post Sat May 30, 2009 8:53 am

Electric start parts

Can a electric start top be used on a kick start tranny? Also, how many of the pan/shovel electric start parts will work on the top. It looks like they all will work, just don't want to buy parts that wont work. Are the clutch baskets for electric start hard to find? Can I cut up a kick start inner and outer primary to use with the electric start , or look for the correct ones. One last question, the rear axel has a parking brake cable made in the brake backing plate. It appears to be an attachment point on frame for some kind if a brake handel. Is this stock or something someone made for it. My first trike was a stock 1954, about 25 years ago and I dont remember much about it, except it always started, and only would do 50 mph.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Electric start parts

Chuck Sumner wrote:Can a electric start top be used on a kick start tranny? Also, how many of the pan/shovel electric start parts will work on the top. It looks like they all will work, just don't want to buy parts that wont work. Are the clutch baskets for electric start hard to find? Can I cut up a kick start inner and outer primary to use with the electric start , or look for the correct ones. One last question, the rear axel has a parking brake cable made in the brake backing plate. It appears to be an attachment point on frame for some kind if a brake handel. Is this stock or something someone made for it. My first trike was a stock 1954, about 25 years ago and I dont remember much about it, except it always started, and only would do 50 mph.

Yes to your first question. Your second question. Only the 31503-65 shifter collar and the 31443-65A pinion gear [ bendix ] will interchange. Third question. Yes. The electric start clutch baskets are difficult to find in decent condition but solo clutch baskets can be remachined to accomodate electric start ring gears or.... you can purchase an nos replacement sprocket and an nos or repop ring gear, and rivet them directly onto your solo clutch basket's shell. Fourth question. Yes. Fifth question. I don't know. Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Electric start parts

Chuck Sumner wrote:One last question, the rear axel has a parking brake cable made in the brake backing plate. It appears to be an attachment point on frame for some kind if a brake handel. Is this stock or something someone made for it. My first trike was a stock 1954, about 25 years ago and I dont remember much about it, except it always started, and only would do 50 mph.

Chuck-

The rear right wheel parking brake set-up was standard equiptment for 1973 Servi's only..
You must have a '73, or a '73 rearend, or at the very least a '73 backing plate..

The cable from the backing plate went to an auto-style parking/ emergency brake. See details on link below. Once open, Click image to increase size.. Hope this helps..

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/13289693/hr ... -Brake.jpg

For a bit more speed, up-size the motor sprocket, stock is 22T, nice up-grade is a 27T, or a 29T
Also for this, a 100 link primary chain must be used, they were made for 45 solos. & can be easily found by parts suppliers.

Return to Servi-Cars