FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

sporty interchangeable parts

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

buddha

Post Sat May 23, 2009 6:13 am

sporty interchangeable parts

Hey to you all, been awhile since I posted, but good to be back. I wanna know if a '79 sporty swingarm and front end will fit on a sporty '70 frame?
I have a '70 sporty partial bike(with engine) and can get '79 partial bike(without engine). The '70 has drum brake setup, the '79 has disc setup. I plan on making this just a "bar-hopper". I'd rather have disc brakes which is why I posted this question. I'm sure I can rigg up a master/cyl. and anything else needed. The shocks, If I had to, I'll put on struts and make it a hardtail. Please comment. Thanks
Last edited by buddha on Sun May 24, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Old Biker UK

Post Sat May 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: sporty interchangeable parts

....'79 sporty swingarm and front end will fit on a sporty '70

Probably not if this group name is anything to go by !
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xlfames/
(Fits All Models Except Seventynine)
Mark
What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing
<<

Kev UK

Post Sun May 24, 2009 10:40 am

Like that link, Mark!

The front end would be less of a problem than the rear. Sporty frames changed in 78, and the later ones have the rear shocks in a different position.

See here;

This is my old 1972 XLCH.

Now compare it to this 79.....

As you can see, the shock mounts on the earlier bikes are further forward.

At the risk of being shot down in flames by irate owners, I'd suggest that 79 Ironheads are best avoided! :wink:
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

VPH-D

Post Tue May 26, 2009 12:47 pm

IIRC, the 79s used tapered Timken bearings in the neck, instead of loose ball bearings. I would imagine if you switched the neck cups, you could use the forks. The square swing arm has a different location for the shocks, I don't remember about the pivot bearings. Just having a front disc would be a big improvement over drum brakes.
VPH-D
<<

Kev UK

Post Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 am

VPH-D wrote:Just having a front disc would be a big improvement over drum brakes.
VPH-D

Theoretically it should be, yes; however the early single discs were pretty poor, wouldn't stop a clock! Later twin disc set-up was a bit better but best results (inevitably!) come from fitting aftermarket calipers; Brembo ones are a good choice, powerful but not bulky so they don't spoil the bike's looks.

I've often played with the idea of converting my 72's front brake to hydraulic operation, or even twin leading shoe. Anyone ever come across this?
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

tprjj49707

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Don't know if this helps, but I am looking to get rid of an '80 frame with swingarm & oil tank.

A bit heavy, but greyhound will let you throw them in cargo bay for freight fee.

It also has a fatbob tank adaptor on it. PM me if interested.
<<

Willy the pirate

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:12 am

Yeah just like every one else said 79 is a bastard year (frame, ignition, other little stuff) but with the later style bearing cups th front end should fit. As far as the ass end I'd look for a swing arm set up from ebay or just hardtail the 70 frame, but definatly not use struts
Ride like Lightening Crash Like Thunder
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Willy:
If you just want to cross stuff over without doing any work you maybe should keep to close years. There was not that much that was incompatable between all the sporty years. The 79 front end will fit on the earlier bike. It would be best to knock the bearing cups out and change then over. It might be an opportunity to install a chrome set of timken cups. Pretty easy swap.
The swingarm will fit. I think both swingarms are timken. It's pretty easy to relocate shock mounts or to find different lengths of shocks. I'd say using the shocks from the 79 would be a proper fit. The top mounts didn't change if I remember right.
This swap should be fairly easy if you just think it out.
Curt!

Return to Sporties