FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WLA Trans In Progress

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

100incscoot

Post Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: WLA Trans In Progress

with the bolts just about tight you can tap it square with a wood hammer handle then tighten the bolts and recheck it
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 pm

100incscoot wrote:with the bolts just about tight you can tap it square with a wood hammer handle then tighten the bolts and recheck it

Exactly Mike.

Here is a used OEM second gear retaining bracket. This particular used bracket has plenty of life left in it. Note how the bracket is a plain stamped steel part. The only machined surfaces on it are the ground surface where the second gear rides against and the bolt holes. Check out all three views of this bracket. Note the contact points in photos 1 and 3. This bracket was adjusted well for alignment when first installed. Note the percentage of contact area to second gear. Pa

<<

Brendan

Post Fri May 01, 2009 6:04 pm

I am heading out to the cave now. I'll see how much I can get out of the retaining bracket adjustment. I'll reinstall the main shaft with all the correct washers and the gears, pop the rollers back in, tighten down the side cover, and cross my fingers. This looks promising since I never took this part off the transmission case. I should have read earlier back in your "WLA build", but I skipped to the part where I thought I was in my build.

Confession; I looked in through the top cover every night for 4 nights before decided to take the side cover off to paint it. I was afraid the whole damn thing would go "SPROING" like a jack in the box. I put the parts in and out so many times now I see the main shaft and the counter shaft parts in my sleep. I feel pretty confident this tranny will work, thanks to you guys. This is very therapeutic after 10 hour days in the “corporate stress mess”
I'll let you know.
Thank you

Brendan
<<

Brendan

Post Wed May 13, 2009 8:00 pm

Got the whole thing together and in spec. End play, retainer bracket to gear, and shifter forks. It feels real smooth. I measured the retainer to gear wrong. I was not measuring the tighter spot. I still used the second biggest washer. Now I have to take it apart to paint the side cover and shine up the case so it comes close to looking like Pa's tranny.
Thanks for the help.
Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Don't forget to post pics of your tranny Brendan ! :D Pa
<<

Brendan

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:52 pm

I went through the upload process with 5 pics
before,after,sand,dishwasher, and assembly using "WLA in progress" shop dope.
I did submit and upload
Nothing showed up, I'm guessing they have to be reviewed. I hope I didn't screw up by doing both "submit" and "upload"
Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue May 19, 2009 11:42 pm

We been having issues with the photo forum Brendan. Email me the pics. I'll put them up for you. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 am

Here is Brendan's pics. Brendan will make the comments on them. Pa

<<

Brendan

Post Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 pm

First pic is in the middle of the build (where you take it apart 15 times to adjust end play, retainer gear, and shifter forks).
The documentation on the table should look familiar, it was copied from this post. I followed this post by Pa and others to rebuild my transmission.
Second pic is almost finished. An after pic, as in "before and after"
Third pic is after I ran the case through my wife's dishwasher. I accidently knocked off a plug while sand blasting.
Fourth pic is the before picture, I just removed it from the bike.
Fifth Pic is the sand blast media in the case before I ran it through the dishwasher.

This has been a blast for me to follow along, I still have some work to do on my tranny and a bunch to get the bike finished.
PA, thanks, I know writing this post must have been very time consuming. I hope you do this on another section of the 45.
I have both Palmer books, the parts manual, fort Knox manual, and the Technical manual, but this was interactive and well put together.
Maybe you and the other experts on this site should write a book. I spent alot on the books and found that I had to read them all to get a job done.
This post was a one stop shop

Regards
Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Brendan wrote:This has been a blast for me to follow along, I still have some work to do on my tranny and a bunch to get the bike finished.
PA, thanks, I know writing this post must have been very time consuming. I hope you do this on another section of the 45.
I have both Palmer books, the parts manual, fort Knox manual, and the Technical manual, but this was interactive and well put together.
Maybe you and the other experts on this site should write a book. I spent alot on the books and found that I had to read them all to get the job done.

Regards
Brendan

I tried one size up for the photos Brendan but thay came out to large for the forum, to view. I'm hoping to do the engine next but I'm not quite ready to tackle it at this time. Need a few more parts first. I'm really glad you mentioned your approval of the post. I...like you...and many others... possess as much information and literature as we can. It takes it all to do the task. :wink: That is exactly why I decided to go with the build post. Each time, in the past, I rebuilt a 45 trans, I would forget much I had learned. Doing a step by step build, using all the literature out there available, I decided documenting it, would ease the task somewhat, the next time around. :mrgreen: At least for me it will. :mrgreen: If anyone wants to write a book on building a 45 trans, using any or all of the material compiled during this build, PERMISSION GRANTED !! I'm no book writer. Hopefully, this topic will aid many more home builders in the future. I must advise though.....Those individuals, such as my friend, Mr. Bruce Palmer, and the literature that they have provided, along with the factory materials, are a necessity, when building a 45 trans, even if one follows the instruction in this topic. Also....it definately helps to have seasoned folks like 100inchscoot, watching over ones self, when doing a correct build. I boo booed a few times during this build. :mrgreen: This forums membership cannot be beat !! :D Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu May 21, 2009 8:42 pm

SEASONED ???
YOU MAKE ME SOUND OLD PAUL
i feel very honored
thanx for the complement
any and almost everything i have learned has been from bruce ,chris haynes ,mutt, you , this forum,malte, phil, and doing it
i try my best to pay very close attention to detail and logic [some times i'm not to good at remembering what i paid attention to though]
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri May 22, 2009 4:43 am

Glad you mentioned the others Mike. I was going to but I was afraid, with my fried old brain, I would leave someone out. :mrgreen: I'm the one whose on the old man track. :wink: Shoot.....took a dump yesterday....took a few steps away from the dumpster, fell flat on me face ! Failing memory can suck sometimes. It pays to remember to pull your pants up ! :mrgreen:
<<

irishbaker

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:58 am

folks,
im in the middle of building my 45 tranny (thanks to Pa and this thread). i have obtained the correct clearances for mainshaft endplay and 2nd gear bracket (eventually :D ), however when i assemble the mainshaft with the low and second gear on it , sometimes the low and secondgear endplay adjusting washer jumps out of its recess on the second gear . is this normal ,does it return to its recess during operation .

i am just wondering Before i move on with the build if i need to take any corrective action.

appreciate any advice

regards

Steve
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:03 am

It needs to remain in that recess. Put a light coating of grease on it to retain it. Once completely assembled, it will remain in the recess. Pa
<<

irishbaker

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:59 am

Pa

i have the whole mainshaft and countershaft fully assembled , endplate on & bolted up , i had moved the dogs out so i could turn the mainshaft to ensure free movement when it popped out of its recess.

i will take of the endplate and grease the washer up and hopefully it will stay in position.

i assume i couldnt loctite it into the recess ? if it comes out during operation it will eat up the endplay!

regards

Steve
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am

I just finished my first rebuild using this thread and manuals. I second guess myself the first time I do anything. So, after reading your post, I went out to the garage and tried to see if I could knock the washer loose by putting it in every gear and prying the two gears apart (lightly). Pa is RIGHT, the washer stays in place when completely assembled. Not that I was questioning Pa, just my own ability to follow directions using the parts I have. I was concerned because I had to use a washer that was thick (almost) max which would have a better chance of falling out of the recess. What clearance did you obtain for the second gear retaining bracket? If you are on the high side then maybe you could tighten it up with a thicker (low to second) washer.
Brendan
<<

irishbaker

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Brendan

i got .035" on the mainshaft endplay and .055" on the second gear bracket giving me just the .02 that i need .

I will grease up the washer & reassemble and see does the washer behave itself this time. :D

Best regards

Steve
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Once assembled, that spacer should stay in position. I wonder if the bushing of the gear is to short or the face of the gear is worn down to far ? Pa
<<

irishbaker

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:28 am

Yes Pa,

sounds like something is not right , i will investigate further.

once again thanks for the help and i can safely say there is no way even with the manuals i would have got the tranny done without your blow by blow thread and excellant photos.

you have the patience of a saint!

regards

Steve
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 am

Glad the topic helped you out Steve. That was the purpose of it, to aid in rebuilding them. Patience of a saint ? No...not patience. I just know when to walk away for a spell and when to return to the task. :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to 45 Flatties