FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Air leaks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Willy the pirate

Post Mon May 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Air leaks

The rear cylinder on my 77 IH isnt firing. I was gonna ride my bike today and went out to start it and it was a pain in the ass to start. when it finally started it didn't sound right. It had been missing from the rear cylinder. I put my hand over the exhaust pipes the front exhaust was hot and the rear was cold. The bike will only run with the enricher all the way up. I talked to George at work today and he said his bike was doing the same stuff, and it turned out to be an air leak. I know the common place is at the intake manifold so i took it off and checked the seals, they looked ok I made sure the clamps and seals where tight against the manifold and reinstalled the carb (S&S E) and the same thing happened , rear cylinder not firing. I checked the plugs, they where fouled. I tried to clean them up and checked the spark and it was good. The rear cylinder was still not firing. Now I can hear the leak but I can not fully determine where it is leaking from. My question is where are the places taht these are likely to develop or what are possible alternate issues I could be having?
Ride like Lightening Crash Like Thunder
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon May 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Air leaks

Try a little soapy water around the spark plug. Try a pair of new plugs also. Pa
<<

Willy the pirate

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:16 am

Re: Air leaks

In case anyone cared the cylinders where scored, BAD, so I did a .020 over bore and rings pistons and gaskets and soon,I hope, it will roar (to my delight not the neighbors) to life.
Ride like Lightening Crash Like Thunder

Return to Sporties