FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

@#$%^&* hardening gasket sealer

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 pm

@#$%^&* hardening gasket sealer

It is around 2:15 on this beautiful sunny warm Sunday afternoon. Am I out riding and enjoying it? No, I am stuck here scraping and cutting to get the base gaskets off this old Panhead. I have been fighting it for over an hour so far. Foot shifter linkinkage in the way is no help. Gasket remover helps, but not much. So guys, when you are putting you engine together save yourself some future grief and never use a hardening gasket sealer. You can bet when these cylinders go back on I will be using Yamabond sealer. Contrary to reports of its demise I just bought two tubes from my local Yamaha dealer yesterday.
<<

Curt!

Post Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: @#$%^&* hardening gasket sealer

I might also add that the same product is sold as Threebond 1104 and Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer. I don't remember the part # for the Permatex product, but it's easier to find out here than Yamabond.
Curt!
<<

Chuck Sumner

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:37 pm

As much as I deny that I use it, Yahamabond is the best I have used.
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 pm

I started using a gasket remover spray from Permatex that softens just about any Gasket sealer. Spray it on, wait ten minutes, and the gasket scrapes off with little effort. I recommend it.
Curt!
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:52 am

I would like to go on record that putting ANY sealer on a base gasket is a mistake.

But for sealing gaskets and threads around modern fuels, I have found that "Pliobond" of T.M. Ashland, Inc. is maintaining its integrity upon a glass slide immersed in Shell ethanol blend!

Marketed by W.J. Ruscoe Co.
483 Kenmore Blvd.
Akron, Ohio 44301

I am not affiliated in any way.

...Cotten

Return to Dear Blabby