FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Engine Numbers?????????

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

strewth

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 am

Engine Numbers?????????

I have a question for those that are knowledgeable in the ways of Indians.

Below is a photo of my engine number on my 44 Chief (or 344 model). Question is: What does the "B" and the "S" stand for, as there seems to be several different theories out there?

Thanks in advance fellas.
<<

cane

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Engine Numbers?????????

The B stands for battery ignition. I don't know about the S thought.
<<

strewth

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks Cane. This is somewhat inline with what I read on Indianmotorbikes.com and re-inforces my view for it.

The main one at the moment is in fact the "S" on the other boss area???

See data from Indianmotorbikes.com below:

Engine number suffixes Top
"A letter may be stamped after the engine number (but off to right of boss itself, i.e. on crankcase): these letters are:-
A is for aluminum pistons which were optional over std cast iron pistons in scout 45"in 1928 see note 5
B is for Battery ignition (distributor). (post 1933, see below note) ...BUT
B was also used (briefly) to denote blackout lighting fitted by the factory on mil. cycles during WWII. see note 6
B also designated aluminum piston and/or special clearances for performance and/or sustained speeds on pre '28".
B also designated aluminum piston, chief carb (DLX81?), chief valve springs and chief inlet nipples/manifold used on
special factory 101 Scouts.
BM is for Bonneville Motor.
BY is for Battery (Distributor) ignition on 'Y' motors, i.e.. Y manifolds, trench heads (Ricardo) etc - mostly mid 30's models.
M is for Magneto ignition.
MY is for Magneto ignition on 'Y' motors, - rare, mostly mid thirties models.

Note 6:

6. All Export 741's GDA101 & up were supplied with blackout lighting as standard.
1940 640B's #'s FD01015-FDO1515 and FD02310-FD02636 were also factory fitted with optional kits offered for others.

Regards,

strewth.
<<

mineral94

Post Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 pm

"S" on the rear pad signifies, Sharp Foundry rather than Massey Ferguson Foundry
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 pm

mineral94 wrote:"S" on the rear pad signifies, Sharp Foundry rather than Massey Ferguson Foundry

I believe the B & S are total BS. Since when did the foundry do the machine work and stamp the cases? Massey Ferguson? Gimme a break.
I this the S (which is upside down) marked Steve's motorcycle. Or Steve rebuilt it. :mrgreen:
<<

strewth

Post Sat May 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Thank you all.

Chris. For a man so knowledgeable on things two wheeled, I would have thought that you could do better than that. :roll:

The "B" and "S" both appear to be original stampings, taking into account the style of lettering and the equal look in ageing in and around the indents. Yes I know that "Steve" may have got his hands on a correct style stamp and then buggered around with acids, grit and alkalines to produce an original effect. I would prefer to think at this stage that they are original, or close to original stampings and that somebody might be able to shed some light on the setup. This bike is in Oz, so I also wonder if it had something to do with the export/import to one of the allies at the time?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 24, 2009 12:33 pm

One would think that a person stamping the letter "S" at the factory would get it rightside up. I know that the "B" is for Battery Ignition as my '46 Chief has that.:mrgreen:
<<

strewth

Post Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 pm

One would think that alot of people in their line of work would get thigs right. But as we all know, that does not always happen. Even with doctors. :wink:
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 pm

strewth wrote:One would think that alot of people in their line of work would get thigs right. But as we all know, that does not always happen. Even with doctors. :wink:

I agree. :mrgreen:
<<

strewth

Post Sun May 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:
strewth wrote:One would think that alot of people in their line of work would get thigs right. But as we all know, that does not always happen. Even with doctors. :wink:

I agree. :mrgreen:

Touche' to you sir. I rest my case. :mrgreen:

Return to Indians