FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Late model wide glides, what fits what?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 am

Late model wide glides, what fits what?

I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes on my 65 pan. Just found what looks like a deal on lower sliders for an 06 bike on ebay, here's the number: 260370627774.
The part numbers are L46495-06 and R46502-06. Is it possible to somehow use my present triple trees if I buy the proper tubes? What else would I need to get? Thanks for all help,
DD
<<

X-WLCH

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: Late model wide glides, what fits what?

I THINK YOU WOULD ALSO NEED TO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY.
<<

Frankenstein

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Well, thanks for the response, However, my problem is keeping my hands clean :lol: :lol: My day job requires me to be neat and tidy. :oops:
I guess my real questions were, how much stuff would I have to replace, like top nuts, damping guts, etc.
I'm thinking I could somehow adapt my damping guts to fit late tubes, and perhaps adapt the top nuts as well.
I'm only considering buying new tubes 'cause my repop tubes I bought 4 years ago are scored and junk. Like wise, I'm looking at a rebush job to make my lowers functional again. So, there's roughly 400 bucks for tubes and rebushing. Plus, rigging up adaptors to make some kind of decent caliper fit my old legs. (Remember, I started down this road just to get some better braking).
So, starting out with a set of '06 lower legs and a set of tubes, for about $150.00 seems like a better way to go.
And seriously, all help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Dick
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't know the answer for sure, but I would rather suspect that the fork internals ( bushes, springs, damper valves and so forth ) would all be different. Mixing parts from different models of fork doesn't usually work out too well. What brake do you have right now? I converted a panhead years ago using one slider and a banana caliper plus a spacer to fit a star-hub wheel and it worked out quite well.

I would guess that your best bet would be to wait for a set of lowers from an earlier bike.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

X-WLCH

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 am

1" axle
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I currently have the "pie shaped" 73-76" caliper and one 11.5" disk. I feel the need for more in modern traffic. Thus, the move to dual disks. I hear ya about mixing parts from different forks, but just a look in the catalogues seems to indicate that keeping the damper ass'y as a whole, and swapping the leg it's in, might be workable. But I'll have to get the stuff in front of me to see if I'm just full of sh**t, :lol:
H'mm 1 inch, sounds like I'll have to look into axles as well, Thanks X-WLCH.
DD
<<

sleeper

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:59 am

Dr-

Seems since 2000 when moco went to sealed wheel bearings, also switched to 1" axle (as X-WLCH mentioned ).

But only on the BT 'baggas', others use 3/4" front axle...

Wish I could be of some help. But I have no newer manuals... :?
<<

panacea

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:28 pm

There is no snap ring groove to hold the early dampener ass. on the late tubes, why not just use the late dampener with the late tubes and sliders? For a real trick set-up ad the race-tech emulator valves, they ride real smooth till you hit a big bump, then they restrict the oil flow for a controllable impact. I would think the 41mm tubes would fit the early trees as long as you use the FL parts....Mike
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 pm

That does sound intriguing. I guess for a few more bucks it might be worth it. As for 1" axle, My lathe will probably fix anything that needs doing on that problem. Thanks all for the tips.
DD
<<

sleeper

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Dr D-

How bout upgraded pads for that caliper you have ??

Or Performance Machine & other am choices make cool quad-puck calipers to replace what you got.. Bolt on. (that may be too easy tho) :D

Just a thought..
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 am

Hey Sleeper, thanks for the input. I started down this road 'cause no one made upgraded pads for the old pie type caliper. So I started looking for options. It looks as if the 06 legs can be fitted with a 4 piston harley caliper? This is looking like a 2 stage upgrade. I'll go with the 79 calipers I've already gathered and my old 65 legs for this season, and gather what I need to do the new tube,4 piston caliper for next year. I've already done up brackets for one side now. And anyway, come on, why would simplicity ever enter into the formula :lol: :lol:
thanks again
DD
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 am

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/ ... sizes.html

this might be helpful? It isn't the complete answer but there is some basic information - if the tube diameter doesn't fit then it's a dead issue
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

sleeper

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Dr-

Sounds like a good plan you have..

and: "And anyway, come on, why would simplicity ever enter into the formula" :lol: :lol:

I was just yanking yer chain... :lol:

45Brit-

Thanks fer the link..

Return to Twin Cams