FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Does This Wheel Go On ?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:16 pm

What Does This Wheel Go On ?

I consider this a trivia question to some degree. I tried to answer the question with a possible Hummer identification but after viewing these pics I don't think that anymore.
Can you folks help this Bro out and identify this wheel ? Thanks, Pa

Please help... trying to figure out what this rear wheel belongs on. 26x2 1/2 clincher, 36 spoke internal brake shoes/ the brake shoes appear to be made out of brass with small x relief's in them. This is also a coast/ brake system. Stamped in hub is "new departure model 1"??

[IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9306/dcp02531wu0.jpg[/IMG

<<

milwaukee belle

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:23 am

Wow ! 36 Spokes smell bad for me .
i never seen an American scoot with such a set .
40 Spokes should be best news !
but i can be wrong .....
<<

Huck

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 am

Re: What Does This Wheel Go On ?

Simplex? BSA Bantam?, DKW?

[quote="Pa"]I consider this a trivia question to some degree. I tried to answer the question with a possible Hummer identification but after viewing these pics I don't think that anymore.
Can you folks help this Bro out and identify this wheel ? Thanks, Pa

Please help... trying to figure out what this rear wheel belongs on. 26x2 1/2 clincher, 36 spoke internal brake shoes/ the brake shoes appear to be made out of brass with small x relief's in them. This is also a coast/ brake system. Stamped in hub is "new departure model 1"??

<<

MarkBranst

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 am

Re: What Does This Wheel Go On ?

Hey,

This is going to be American and early ... Google search turned up lots of stuff. These guys manufactured mostly bicycle stuff like coaster brakes in the pre-WWII period, but I also found references to their stuff being used in early motorcycles, certainly as early as 1910.

Also, take a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/bqsr9t

Google Books has scanned a whole bunch of the early years of "Motorcycle Illustrated" and they are available on-line free. Some great early photos, and a reference to New Dimensions hubs in the 1910 edition.

Mark

Return to Motorcycle Trivia