FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Ordinances at Myrtle Beach

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Kurt

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:06 am

New Ordinances at Myrtle Beach

Has anyone read the new ordinances?

Quiet mufflers with EPA labeling........good luck.

Impound serial offending vehicle.......... :shock:

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Myrtle Beach City Council passed 15 city-wide ordinances that they hope will limit bike rallies. These ordinances will apply year-round, but are aimed to limit May's bike rallies.

The ordinances that were passed ranged from a 1 a.m. curfew for underage teenagers to requiring photo identification for anyone checking into a hotel or motel. Officials went as far as implementing a mandatory helmet law for anyone riding a motorcycle within city limits.

All of the ordinances passed unanimously with the exception of the helmet ordinances. It passed 5-1. Critics say forcing bikers to wear a helmet goes against state law, which allows any adult to decide whether or not to wear one.

The city, however, says it's only an administrative infraction meant to improve the safety of people living in the city. Therefore, they say there's no conflict with state law.

Today, business owners were worried about the new ordinances. They say that the ordinances could cripple their business.

"If the bike rallies go away, it coudl be the equivalent of a category five hurricane hitting Myrtle Beach for the month of May," says Don Cauthen, who owns two restaurants in Myrtle Beach.

With the new ordinances, business that have to call the police more than twice in a six month period could face a maximum fine of up to 50 thousand dollars. They could even be forced to close by 2 a.m.

2008-57 | Amend existing Nuisance law found in Chapter 10, Article II, Nuisances of the Code. The effects of an unpermitted special event, or rally are a public nuisance against public health, public decency, peace and order, public welfare and safety and the public economy and responsible parties to be held financially responsible for public cost that result from their promotion.

2008-58 | Amend existing Special Event law in Sections 19-127, 19-128 and 19-156 of Chapter 19, Article VI, Special Events of the Code. Those events in or adjacent to City limits, permitted or unpermitted, that impose an excessive public resource deployment are unlawful, and responsible parties are to be held financially responsible for public cost that result.

2008-59 | New law amending Chapter 14, Article 1, Section 14-1. No alcohol served between 2-6 a.m. Note substantial changes. Business can exempt from 2-6 a. m. sale prohibition upon showing of policy or practice that addresses among other things underage drinking, over-serving, internal and premises security. Exemption can be revoked upon events of criminality on premises of business.

2008-60 | New Law. Chapter 14, Article 1, Section 14-7. Defrauding a restaurant is a misdemeanor.

2008-61 | New law. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-220. Infraction. Administrative process. Short term rental, payers of accommodation tax, innkeeper or hotel check-in procedures; photo id for check-in; identification of all guests per room, identification of all vehicles; issue parking card.

2008-62 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-221. Administrative process. No alcohol consumption or open possession in parking areas, lots and garages. Business shall not permit.

2008-63 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-222. Administrative process. Use of parking lot for non-parking activities a nuisance. No destruction of landscaped areas by chairs, etc. Businesses shall not permit.

2008-64 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-223 through 14-227. Administrative process. Helmet and eyewear required for cycles and mopeds; No impoundment.

2008-65 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-228 through 14-231. Administrative process. No trailers parked on public streets, or unlicensed private lots.

2008-66 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-232 through 14-235. Administrative infraction. Convenience store and premises security.

2008-67 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-236 through 14-239. Administrative process. Minor or Juvenile Curfew: 1 am to 6 am.

2008-68 | New law. Infraction. Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-240. Administrative process. No loud mufflers, impound serial offending vehicle.

2008-69 | Amend existing law in Chapter 14, Article V, Section 14-85, adding section (b) (10). No loitering on commercial lots after hours, or when posted.

2008-70 | Amend existing law in Chapter 12, Article III, Division 1, by adding Section 12- 102: only 1 vehicle per space; Chapter 12, Article III, Division 2, Repeal deactivation of meters for bike parking.

2008-71 | New law to enact Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-200 through 14-and/or reserve 14-219. Creation of administrative hearing process for disposition of infractions.
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:24 am

Re: New Ordinances at Myrtle Beach

Doesn't this bother anyone but me?

This is serious because I see this type of individual action happening across the U.S. if they get away with it.

How would you feel if you go out for a Sunday bike ride and get pulled over and given a ticket for not wearing a helmet in the next town over from you because they passed an ordinance that you must wear one within their city limits.....even though the State you're in does not require a helmet. Let me take this two steps further, they write you another ticket because you have Vance and Hines mufflers and then the the cop is a self proclaimed # Nazi who doesn't know jack takes your '46 Knuckle because it doesn't have a frame number.

Some of the stuff they listed I completely agree with.....but the others......wtf.

Or.....maybe I'm just paranoid and should stay out of Myrtle Beach.......

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=8980453

If you want to host a bike week, then you should expect to deal with bikers........lol.....hold on.........what would this town do if "real" bikers would show up instead of the RUB posers they're trying to control.

Kurt
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:31 am

It bothers me Kurt. Boy Cott the whole damn town ! Don't go there there for any reason. Some other area along the coast will gladly pick up their lost tourist industry. The residends can then crusify their leadership for the locally destroyed economy. Pa
<<

George Greer

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am

Kurt..

It worries me too. First Myrtle Beach..then where??

Pa, I agree....just stay away.

The lost $$$$ to business' will soon take its toll.

George.

Yea, I guess that I will just stay in Germany.
<<

Randall

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 am

Howdy Folks,

I mostly try to stay west of the Mississippi, or better yet, west of the Pecos. It seems like the farther east you go the thicker the people and cops become. Of course, SoCal is not a lot better...

--- Randall
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Back in the late 60's or early 70's, a country music singer, by the name of Jenie C Riley, hope I spelled her name ok, sang a tune called, Harper Vallet P.T.A.. I suspect, we would find the same types of hipocrits, running the local gov scene, as Jenie sang about, in this situation as well. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm sure there are towns all over that would welcome the income derived from a biker party. From here it's 5-600 miles to any good party. The older I get the less enthused I am about fighting the crowd. Anymore the most excitement I look for is Davenport on Labor Day.
All in all , it's getting really hard to find a good biker party these days. The good ones are all gone.
Curt!
<<

George Greer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 am

Curt...

I hear ya.......

The European Bike Week in Villach Austria, is about a 7 hour trip for me...

Getting nuttier each year.............last time I went almost got me killed when I rode over a oil slick, almost lost control of my E-glide and nearly plowed headon with a semi in the Tauren Tunnel...

I'm not much of a fan of tunnels anymore.......nor oil slicks...rain...dense people.

So I am pretty much out of going to any more of the rallys.

George
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:13 am

George.... WOW tunnels.. A group of us were going through about a 1/2 mile long tunnel in Colorado a few years back. A bright sunny day so my glasses with auto darkening were really dark. I didn't realize my headlight had burned out and no lights in the tunnel. It really freaked me out when everything went black entering the tunnel at 60 mph. The tunnel had a curve in it, sot the was no "light at the end of the tunnel" to go by.The only thing that saved me was being able to see a buddies taillight a hundred yards ahead. I'm not a big fan of going through them anymore.
Curt!
<<

Psycobilly

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeah, Myrtle Beach residents, are up in arms over this, as well as local bikers, but, the plan is to still cruise down there anyway. Screw'em! As a former resident, I know the impact that the rally has on the economy. There is also a rally the week after "Bike Week" , that is called "Black Bike Week" With all the crotch rockets, Which is really bigger, than "Bike Week"

The current plan locally, is to have the Rally, in North Myrtle Beach, and South to Places like Garden City, and Socastee, where we all stay anyways. Myrtle will be a ghost town! Sad but True.

Return to Shoot The Bull