FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Gel battery?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Gel battery?

I have heard that gel batteries put out more cold cranking amps. The time is here to start modifying my Knuck oil bag to make room for the starter motor. I will also have to modify the tank to accept a new and different shape battery. Of course I am looking to get the most amps I can get from the smallest battery possible. Any ideas/thoughts?
I had wanted to use the electric starter kit from Jed's but I have been waiting four years for him to get off his butt and get them in production. http://jedscycleproducts.com/starter.htm
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Gel battery?

Chris ,
I went to Jed's site but was unable to bring up images of his electric starter. I would suggest the you consider Russ Peterson's Right Side Electric Starter. You can reach Russ here: cnc56pan@hotmail.com I have run a prototype model most of the summer. I have several hundred trouble free starts on my 8.4 to 1 90 inch Knuckle . I'm using a J&P 250cca battery in a Paugho oil TANK (seeing that you are using an oil bag you should be able to squeeze an FLH battery in !) The J&P battery is a AGM type (absorbed glass mat) it measures 6 7/16 long by 5 1/8 high by 3 1/4 wide. The catalog 3 is 350-229 An alternative that I will likely us in on Dago Red is offered by Harley Davidson it is for 2004 and later Buells 65958-04 it measures 5 3/4 long by 5 3/4 high by 3 1/4 wide. I have not used this battery yet so I can't testify to it's power. Good luck ........ and I hope your bag doesn't leak :twisted:

P.S. Thanks to Kevin for fixing software thus allowing me to post images.
Attachments
productionRSES.JPG
This image shows a production version of Russ Peterson's RSES starter next to the prototype that I'm running on Black Betty. The internal componets remain alike. The starter motor is moved from about 9 to 11 oclock. Thus it eliminates fender clearance problems.
productionRSES.JPG (40.64 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
j&PinplaceJPG.JPG
this image shows the J&P battery in place. The Paugho oil tank will hold a full sized FXE style battery. In this case I offset the tank by an inch to allow for clearance to the rear shotgun .
j&PinplaceJPG.JPG (85.42 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
HD&J&PJPG.JPG
HD 65958-04 on left. J&P350-229 0n right
HD&J&PJPG.JPG (164.91 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:55 pm

I am using all genuine H-D electric start stuff. I am just looking for the smallest battery possibe that will crank it.
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:32 am

more pictures please? It's so 'black' I can't make out any details of the starter itself.

actually I think an electric starter for a pan or knuckle would be great. I gave up on panheads because my gammy knee simply couldn't live with the starting problems. I do know someone who owns and electric start panhead - a much-rebuilt early Duo-Glide - and it starts fine. I always found my shovelhead started fine with the button.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:45 am

I haven't looked into this deep enough yet, but a friend of mine works for Sears. He goes around making repairs on lawn equipment sold by Sears. One particular lawn tractor he replaced an engine in, was running a vertical 26 hp kohler engine. The engine has no compression release on it, and fires via e start. The battery used in it, measures approximately 4" x 2" x 3". The harness out of the battery has very light gauge wiring on it. The end of the harness uses a USB like size connector, to the rest of the system. I mentioned this, because the Kohler engine, has a fairly good size flywheel on it, so the starter gear to ring gear ratio, are not to far different, from an HD system. Might be worth the trip to your local Sears store, for a look see at those batteries ??? Pa
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 am

45Brit,
The beauty of the Right Side Electric Starter is that it doesn't require the ring gear and the heavy support (Aluminum Primary). I shot the production model alongside the prototype to demonstrate the change that eliminated the starter motor to fender issue that the prototype had. The production model moves the starter to the 11 o'clock position. The biggest change that is that the RSES requires the use of an oil tank that is not as deep on the right side as the stock Knuckle or Pan tank. I have not found a battery that has the 250 cold cranking amps that Russ Peterson recommends . Paugho makes an oil tank that offers plenty of room to mount either of the batteries that I pictured above.
John
Attachments
rsesback.jpg
rsesback.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
rsestop.jpg
rsestop.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
rsesfront.JPG
rsesfront.JPG (56.3 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 am

interesting item - so there is no kickstart? Then again, my electric start shovelhead didn't have one and I never missed it
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

panacea

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:04 pm

I sure would like to see some pics of the Jedcycle setup, mainly to preserve the original look with the kicker, but also it would be nice to have the kicker as a "backup" Mike
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Here is the link to Jed's website.

http://jedscycleproducts.com/index.htm

Return to Shoot The Bull