FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wheel Centering

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BenE

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Wheel Centering

I know this sounds basic, but on a '58 hydra glide front end, should the front rim be centered between the forks? I have a mecahnical drum brake on this front end, and a star hub laced to a 21" front wheel (with an Avon Speedmaster 21x3.00 on it). I was doing some checking to see how true the wheel was, with the wheel and whole brake setup still on the bike. When I measured from each fork to the rim, it seemed like the wheel was offset to the right (non-brake drum side) of the bike by maybe 3/8".
<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Wheel Centering

Yup, as you suspect, the wheel should be centered. If memory serves me, about the only way it's going to be off if is the rim is laced offset to the rim.
DD
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: Wheel Centering

I agree with the Doc. Take the measurement difference you now have, divide that number in half, remove the wheel, break the tire off of it, set it up in a wheel truing stand or eqivalent, refer to the shop manual for measuring points, and re true the wheel, to the number you came up with, compare your numbers with the shop manual, and most inportantly, make sure you have all of the correct parts on the assembly before you take the shop manuals numbers for a certainty. Pa

Return to Pans