FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

FleeceBay...In Your Wallet Again

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 am

FleeceBay...In Your Wallet Again

Checks and money orders no longer allowed: Beginning in late October, we will no long allow checks or money orders as payment methods on eBay. Only approved electronic methods will be allowed. In January 2009, all accepted payment methods will be integrated into eBay Checkout. For buyers, this change means a more consistent and secure payment experience. For sellers, it means faster payment and fewer unpaid items. (Note this policy will not apply to Vehicles and some categories in Real Estate, Mature Audiences, and Business & Industrial). See FAQs for more details.

More money to ebay via paypal and via a few other electronic funds transfer services !! :evil:

Limits on shipping and handling charges for some categories: Starting in October, limits on shipping and handling charges will be in effect for select categories. These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S. Sellers are required to offer at least one shipping option within the maximum and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping. Sellers can still use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standardr—e.g., if you're selling an unusual large/ or heavy item, or a bundler—you can also use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs. See FAQs for more details.

This is just the beginning ! I don't like extreme high shipping charges either but ebay is going to make honest sellers loose money on it now !! :evil:

Pa
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 am

Re: FleeceBay...In Your Wallet Again

On the other hand I was recently screwed out of $270.00 by a seller who sold me a counterfiet item. I contacted Pay Pal about it. After returning the item to the seller, and he refused to pick it up at the post office, Pay Pal refunded my complete payment. I always use Pay Pal and have nothing but goot things to say about them. I can immediately pay fom my purchases and not have to wait weeks for a check to arrive and be held buy the seller before my purchase is sent.
I demand payment by Pay Pal when I sell.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZknuckQ ... ooZ1QQrdZ0
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 pm

This move is going to kill e-bay. I looked back and see that i haven't sold anything on there for quite a while. I do take paypal as payment and pay for items using it. It makes dealing with e-bay/paypal pretty hard to swallow when they take 20% of the gross. This has driven the reserves up by 20% to cover fees. There aren't many bargains to be had on there any more.
As far as getting your money back on a bad transaction..... I've got a friend that did a lot of business in there. He got screwed a few times for several hundred bucks each time from people lodging complaints, getting their money back, then not returning the items. The appeal process is complicated and time consuming.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:27 pm

When my Ole Lady sells, ebay automatically calculates the shipping charges but ????? Most of the time, those charges screw her. Once in a while, charges are way over priced. She refunds those excessive charges. Problem though, Ebay, via paypal, gets a piece of the refund from the customer as well. She is so pissed about this new policy change, that she is going to make her items foreign purchases only. My personal view on ebays' policy changes....??? They are setting us up for state sales tax collection. Mark my word folks ! it's a comin ! Does cashless society ring any bells ? Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Last month I was hit with a "self-audit" from the state dept of revenue. They specifically stated that they were concerned with internet sales and purchases which sales tax was not paid. The hook was that if you report all of your internet purchases now the 100% penalty and fines would be waved. The audit went back 3 years. They claimed that they had information that I had made purchases and sales on the internet that were subject to sales tax. After 40 some hours of research I came up with 600+ dollars of purchases. I got a letter today that I owe 48 bucks that must be paid within 60 days. Talk about going for nickels and dimes. Nationwide sales tax is coming and it's a bookkeeping nightmare.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:25 am

Yep......Another bitch I have with ebay and taxing, is what can be taxed. I am expected to pay a sales tax to Ohio on even a used item. The used item was taxed when it was new already. If I am the seller, I don't want to collect tax on an already taxed item. If I am the buyer, I don't want to pay tax on it either. Pretty soon, they will go after yard sales. Motor vehicles have been taxed time and time again, no matter how used and old they were. This is their grounds for this taxation. Next the IRS will want an income tax on the used item sales ! Another concern surrounding this type of gov taxation is who they are trying to tax. My Ole Lady allows others to make purchases online. Will they tax the I.P. address ?????
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:29 am

Wait till the IRS does what Europe does........tax "EVERY" sale based on the State it's shipped from.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:38 am

John Lennon nailed it when he wrote the song, “Tax Man”

They are definitely going after the nickels and dimes. I’ve been contacted twice this year by the local county tax people suggesting that when I sold my 34VLD this past winter, that the new owner and I misrepresented its sale price when signing the title over. They just don’t believe I purchased it two years ago for $500, or that I sold it for $1,000. The new owner and I laugh about this regularly over beers in my garage. I say screw em. Steve
<<

Psycobilly

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:48 pm

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn!
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:01 pm

ohio-rider
You're lucky I'm not your county appraiser. I'd have to impound the 34VLD for a 6 month evaluation. :lol:
Curt!
<<

ohio-rider

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 am

The state of Ohio really puts a person in a catch 22 position if they purchase a vintage motorcycle from someone who lives out of state. In order to transfer the title, the state requires that you present to them a road worthy motorcycle. They “will not” transfer a title to a basket case. That’s all well and good, and I can understand the reasoning for it. BUT, there is a penalty fee if you fail to transfer the title with-in 60 days of purchase. So if you purchase an out of state vintage cycle which is a basket case you have 60 days to assemble it in order to transfer the title or they charge you a penalty fee for not transferring the title in a timely manner. Like I said before, Screw em!

And no I’m not afraid to post my feelings about it here on the internet. They already know who I am and what my position is on this subject. The state and I have danced this dance a number of times over the years. As long as they continue to play their money game I will continue to skirt the rules. Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now. -Steve
<<

fabercycle

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 am

Is there another auction site that is popular for motorcycle and automotive sales???........cuz I can see the "handwriting on the wall" with ebay. I would like to see a mass exodus to another auction site, that has less bullshit.

Thoughts?? ?? ?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:37 am

I echo your wisdom Tom. Pa
<<

fabercycle

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Well Pa, I was hoping that it was some exaggerated info......but, no, ........at the end of October it's "online payments" or you don't sell on ebay. Not to mention the fixed shipping costs, which is obviously engineered by an ebay employee who has no clue how a business runs.

I guess it was a good run while it lasted.

Past changes have been irritating......but what's coming has pushed us over the edge to start looking for other options. I'm expecting to be off ebay within a couple years, the way things are going...........you know there will be more changes that are even worse around the corner.

Doesn't "Yahoo" have an auction site?

This looks like an opportunity for someone else (with an auction site) to really make a killing at ebay's expense.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:30 pm

I agree whole heartedly with you Tom. I've had it with them ! Kat will be off of there soon ! There are other auction sites but the ones I've seen have not geared up for motorcycle parts yet. Ebay has all the biker croud on their site for the present. That can change in a hurry though. Spread the word. Pa
<<

44u

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Screwbay is not in my wallet anymore. I gave up on them over a year ago even though it actually harms me a bit in parts procurement and possibly has an effect on a sellers income. Gave up selling also.

Just tired of the perpetual fee increases and worst of all; the constant move by eBay to force everyone to toe their line. I told my wife a couple of years ago that eBay was not going to be happy until everyone was forced to use PayPal. Combine this with the latest feedback policies, which include whitewashing and the ability for buyers to leave neg. FB but not receive it, and it's just not worth it to me.
<<

Tim 435

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Anybody familiar with craigslist ? I just started looking into it, infact put a bike on it today, it's free but it appears to be local advertising only.
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:16 pm

<<

Tim 435

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks DustyDave, checked out listings beginning A to Z, can you believe it bottom of first page E-bay had a listing ! ha , they don't miss a trick.
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

HurtnDude

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 pm

ebaY nevers ceases to amaze, whether it's the schemes the admin. dreams up
or the antics of the buying & selling users...

check that...buyer & sellers win, hands down, no contest... even in these unsettled days,
I continue to cross unbelievable dollars spent ....and crazy descriptions of all kinds of stuff.

No Paypal for me...NO MORE. Off the sauce, when they go strictly Paypal only, I'm done

Is this the end of an ebay era?

I have to admit to spending a fair bit on ebaY auctions, but I got a really nice cast iron skillet griddle! 8)
Next

Return to Shoot The Bull