FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DC12 carb.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Nick55KH

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:14 pm

DC12 carb.

I posted this on the 45 board, thought I should put it here also... Hi guys, arguably not strictly a side-banger question but if I'm wrong about the carbie type then it is. Have an old 1960XLB, a really impressive untouched bike, that I sold to a good friend who after having his motor rebuilt realised (or reaslized for my American brothers) the shop had tossed his original carburetor. What were they thinking! Anyways they installed a new Zenith carbie that is not fitted with low speed adjustment, after years of trial and error, different jets, swapping this and that it still runs far too rich on the low end. We want to find the correct carbie. We think it is not a brass Linkert but a DC10 or DC12, we are not getting exact information back on this... Patrick would know in a flash I would think. Prices for a DC12 are as high as a good old brass job, which seems unfair given demand one would think for the later carbs. If we don't go to the DC12 or indeed something older what can we get that might not cost us two arms and two legs that will afford us with low speed adjustment. Thanks and best, Nick.
Last edited by Nick55KH on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 am

Re: DC12 carb.

Hi Nick55KH,

Well, Patrick doesn't know!!!

They started with the DC 7 in 57 and finished with the DC 12 in 65, but the service manuals don't say what fits what. I haven't seen enough early original Sportsters to be sure of anything.

As far as the ones in my parts bin, they are all fitted with the same #9 butterfly except the DC 12, and they all look fairly similar.

The choke assembly was different in 57, cable operated. After that, they're all levers through the back filter plate. The very early 57 had a different brass air/iddle tower on its side, moded in that same year for the normal tower, I have the factory sheet for that small improvement.

The one for the 1st year 65 Electra Glide was probably jetted higher...

Patrick
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:21 am

thefrenchowl wrote:Hi Nick55KH,
The one for the 1st year 65 Electra Glide was probably jetted higher...
Patrick

It has been my experience with Tillitson and Bendix carbs that the Sportsters have bigger jetting.
<<

yarddog

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Hello Nick55KH,

I Think the DC10 sounds right for a 60 XL , but being an export machine , maybe the XLB used a variation not seen on a domestic civilian bike. I picked up a complete DC10 last year at davenport for about fifty bucks. The DC12 was a big twin carb.

Patrick,

I would really like to hear more about the early version of the DC1 ! How did the air/idle tower differ ?

Jack
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:51 am

Hi Yarddog,

The following parts were sent to me by Fred Warr, the noted H-D London GB dealer, when I was collecting DC parts to do my twin DC KHK, with a note "Hope it's useful, Fred". There was an installation sheet with the enveloppe, but as usual, can't find it...

The top part is the original tower, missing the square brass bit on the top. The air for the iddle was straight off the hole in the body top channel. I guess it collected too much dust or water that way so they moded the part so the iddle air intake was on the back of the square bit on the NOS whitish new bottom part in the scan... By the way, the vertical tube is blanked half way through, the bottom part is the vent for the float chamber, the top is just for the iddle...

This is an extract from my K/XL 1957 parts catalogue:

This is from my 1959 K/XL parts catalogue:

Patrick
<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:23 am

I guess we need to figure out how the XLBs differed – if they actually did. I guess, yeah?
Best, Nick.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Nick,

What do you think of these ones, 3 XL "Army" in Portugal some years back in an army surplus depot!!! They are 59 I think... Look the same as the street equivalent apart from WLA derived rear carrier.

Patrick
<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:23 am

Wow, that's them, I've never seem a pic of that many together ever – where did you dig that up Patrick??

Here's the bike in question – with incorrect 59 paint. 1960 tank design attched for a look in...

What does B in XLB stand for anyway Patrick

Best, Nick.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:30 am

<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:47 am

You're at it again, Chris, with your massive files... Anyway, I know the trick now so went straight to the other site to load it!!! thanks... How many Pohlmans have you got??? I see the negative # 's not on it... Shame, I could have told you when it was made... Looks around 62/65.

Nick, found these 2 photos on a forum on the web, can't remember where.. The guy did say they were well overpriced and the seller would not split them, i.e. you had to buy the 3 together. That was in the nineties...

No idea what the B stoods for except it's just after the A!!!!!!!!!!!!! Special contract or other simple but forgotten explanation surely...

All the best from Patrick
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:12 pm

I have over 1,500 Pohlman photos. I also have the Pohlman log that gives the date each negative was processed.
That one is #25029. It was processed 11.12.63. The title of the photo is simply Military Motorcycle.
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 pm

I know of a pretty stock XLB fairly nearby, I'll take a look at the carb for you next time I'm there.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:33 pm

XLB is an Export model.
<<

yarddog

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Nick55KH,

Dale Walksler at Wheels Through Time museum had an early military XL on display. If I remember right, I think he said it was from Greece. I can't recall what year the bike was, and this was while Dale was still in Illinois. If he still has it, he could check the carb for you. Good luck !

Patrick,

Thanks for the pics and parts reference ! I didn't realize there was that change. I will check to see which versions I have!

Jack
<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Chris, they're great shots indeed: sharp as a tac...

Jack thanks, I'll standby... Suicideshovel appreciate that as well.

SO THE VOTE IS: a DC10 carb for a 60XLB ? We may still be wrong yeah? this is proving hard... So now the even harder part how do we track a DC10 down, get it to Australia all without loosing our pants on the deal as they say? They should not be nearly as popular as an old brass job, the demand can't be nearly as high...

Best, Nick.
<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:43 pm

Chris, would love to see more of those military shots??? Man: impressive.

You or Patrick would know: what of K military bikes, any of them sent as military models to Asia in the fifties. Korean war still going in 53/54 was it? Can't think? I've never really seen a military K/KH, I have seen a few parts for them however – saw a gas tank once, it looked legit?
Best, Nick.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:36 am

Hi Nick,

Don't know of any military K or KH...

Only know the Belgian Police did buy a few, that's why they are more there now than anywhere else in Europe!!! don't know either what finish they had or if special parts were fitted...

All DC look the same, don't think the # will be an issue. Just check it has the #9 butterfly and that it's not a servi-car one (easy to check, much smaller venturi and the float chamber's on the other side) before you buy... Most have the lever choke through the air cleaner back plate, only exception is the 57 XL that had a cable operated choke.

Patrick
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:17 am

thefrenchowl wrote:Hi Nick,

Don't know of any military K or KH...

Only know the Belgian Police did buy a few, that's why they are more there now than anywhere else in Europe!!! don't know either what finish they had or if special parts were fitted...

All DC look the same, don't think the # will be an issue. Just check it has the #9 butterfly and that it's not a servi-car one (easy to check, much smaller venturi and the float chamber's on the other side) before you buy... Most have the lever choke through the air cleaner back plate, only exception is the 57 XL that had a cable operated choke.

Patrick

Uncle Sam flatly refused any Military K Models. He still had a shitload of WLA's left. He did buy XLA's though.

Return to Sporties