FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The ultimate 45'

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 am

Re: The ultimate 45'

Gud moaning..... I wos wikking doan the stroot... there's a question. Do UK-resident Frenchmen understand 'Allo 'Allo jokes?

well I do speak French, in the English fashion, ha ha, comes from experience with Total and in places like Tunisia and Congo, so Patrick probably wouldn't understand a word of it. However I do know that 'ersatz' is a German word meaning 'substitute' with the connotations of 'inferior quality' and its use is general throughout Europe, due I suppose, to being widely used in both World Wars

Personally, I like that bike. I think it's good stuff. For me, I would have used wide glide forks with a swing-arm, the period look again. I've seen a similar bike built in UK about 10 years ago, also with springers, and it's very nice too.

I know what Patrick is saying, I've seen his bikes on the website. I have taken a similar approach with my 45 project, of using 'period' parts, and it has greatly increased the cost and time of the project but even so it's not silly money.. nothing like the £10,000 WD restorations you see, I will have finished both bikes and be a long way under that figure. But I know what Eric is saying too, and I think on the evidence, that both approaches are valid.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

DodgyLoner

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:52 am

Now that is very very nice!!!! Congratulations on that one!

Well after all the sportster evolved out of the 45 anyway so its what the factory would probably have done if theyd had that technology 60 years ago..... :mrgreen: At least the Evo is a proper classic Harley engine not like those new fangled Tin Cans.... :wink:

Whats on the left hand side? Is it modern foot shift and hand clutch? Done anything to the primary side?

I was wondering a while ago whether an Evo Sportster powered Servicar would be a viable project. Also if it would be possible to add fins to the Sportster cases to make it look more like a 45. And maybe do something with the Evo heads to make them reminiscent of the 45 - a bit on the same lines as those Panhead ones you used to be able to get for Evos.

Karl
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 pm

I've found a pic of that 'other' bike and uploaded it into my gallery. The obvious difference is that it has a rigid frame but the 'family' resemblance is there. Given the sheer size and unweildyness of the Big Twins now, I rather think that a Sportster engined bike is probably nearer the 'feel' of a pan or UL than the current 'retro' models
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes, I DO understand Allo Allo jokes, that policeman always had me in tears!!! I even saw the original cast doing it in a theatre in Liverpool, a long long time ago...

And it's not that I'm that biased towards the old, but to me, H-D ended in 69 for a multiple amount of reasons, not just the AMF takeover...

Patrick
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Way off topic but I must relate it. Fran-6 and I speak totally different languages. I tried the French translators but the words were never correct. My meaning in Engish was translated incorrectly for Fran-6. A very good friend of Fran-6, an English teacher in France, explained it to Fran-6 and I. Like in the US, France also has slang languages. Our slang languages through a big wrench into our conversations, when using translators. The cure ??? Fran-6 speaks better Engish than Pa speaks French. :D Correct Fran-6 ??? :wink: Pa
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 am

I learnt French in an English school, forty years ago, and have never actually been to France. My spoken French has developed on barges and oil rigs in places like Tunisia, VietNam and Congo, with the result that my French is heavily accented, even by English standards; I am used to speaking to people for whom tense is implied from context, usually because they are speaking a foreign language themselves . I use a lot of Arabic and other foreign words, and also swear like a trooper, so when I say Patrick wouldn't understand a word I say that's pretty much what I mean. English is the 'world language' of the oil industry and I can read French ok, but can't write it at all.

I'll differ with Patrick regarding the AMF years, I believe they saved the MoCo by providing funds and direction at a time when one wasn't available and the other had been lost, but I would certainly agree that H-Ds have changed their philosophy out of recognition. I like 45s because to me they are the epitome of a type, solid, hard-working machines which suited their environment and have proved the value of their basic design over and over in the ensuing years. They are built by , and for, engineers.
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 am

Other side views...
( brake lines are still not here :cry: )
Attachments
The-Ultimate-45'-015web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-015web.gif (221.74 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
The-Ultimate-45'-012web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-012web.gif (181.85 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
The-Ultimate-45'-010web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-010web.gif (240.98 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:58 am

other pics....
Attachments
The-Ultimate-45'-017web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-017web.gif (249.78 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:02 am

other pics...
Attachments
The-Ultimate-45'-025web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-025web.gif (227.3 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
The-Ultimate-45'-021web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-021web.gif (238.53 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
The-Ultimate-45'-011web.gif
The-Ultimate-45'-011web.gif (211 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 am

That's all Folks.... :mrgreen:
Attachments
T. 024.JPG
T. 024.JPG (55.47 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 pm

WOW !!!!
a new Pohlman's pic for our collection !!! :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
VintageSport's6.gif
VintageSport's6.gif (235.19 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Fran-6, You've done it again. Although anyone who can put fins on an oil tank could probably add them to a cam cover with a little work :lol: It looks great, and Hand shift, so glad you didn't go over to the dark side on that one. And I like your version of Cat eyes. I'm sure the arrow is for the turn signal, but is the "N" for North, and part of a hidden GPS system, or merely a neutral light?
Dr Dick
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 am

Frank
i dreamed about a complete set of finned camcover+heads....
but welding fins on aluminium is a work impossible for me .
what i can do easy is buying this custom-chromed-sheetmetal you can glue on the camcover .
this is steel . on it i can add fins .
but for the heads ?....

i have choosen the option to keep the evo. just like it is . Stock .
Hey ! remember this is a MODERN scoot !!! :wink:
i got NO shame about it !

other détail :
the handshift is totally FAKE ! just dere for déco.
the WL foot clutch has been modifyed into a footshift .... :oops:
Sorry ....
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 am

I was trying to work that one out from the control linkages... there is an old gag about Star Trek, some of the pipes visible in the "Engine Room" set are stencilled DNGN which stands for 'does nothing, goes nowhere'

Personally I wouldn't have bothered. If you are going to go with the stock looking engine, which is a very handsome unit in its own right, why not have foot shift? Or, use the later Big Twin 'police' style shifter, which uses a short, spring-loaded gate to operate a positive-stop transmission? I think these are rather handsome units, if that's what you want.

anyway it's a really nice bike and I'm seriously jealous....
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:59 pm

[quote="45Brit"]I was trying to work that one out from the control linkages... there is an old gag about Star Trek, some of the pipes visible in the "Engine Room" set are stencilled DNGN which stands for 'does nothing, goes nowhere'

I worked o many of the Star Trek shows. Everything that was labeled had some outrageous saying on it. Have you ever noticed thr map of The Enterprise that was on corridor wall? In the engine room is a hamster on a treadmill. One floor has a Porsche driving dowm it. Another has Superman changing in a phone booth. The Production designers always had fun designing the sets.
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:08 am

that's pretty funny.......
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 am

YESSSS !
i have made the first raod test this morning !
i am définitively IN LOVE with this scoot !!!!!

-exhaust noise : quiet but present
-motor : UUUUUhhhhh ! i've lost my helmet !
-brakes : unbelievable !
-gearbox and foot shift : WOW !!!! this is heaven !
-lookin' : i have seen my silhouette in a large glass , in the streets :
absolutely no problem : the illusion is perfect !!!!!
-handling : same as a 45' !
- comfort : :D :D :D
- mechanical siren : the cops are already knockin' at my door ....

first gogo comments :
" what year is it from ?"
" 1941 "
" Oh ! my god ! "
" ....no... she's a 1995 model ... "
"Oh yes ! ( ???!!!???!!!scratching head ) "

:D :D :D :D :D :D
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 pm

if it looks right.. it is right.. and that LOOKS right...
<<

panacea

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Does the seat post operate?
<<

celticdodge

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Fran-6,I thank you for submitting pictures of your latest project,what an inspiring bike.I think you have really maintained the nostalgic look and yet underneath you have all the moderen technology.This bike is the best of both worlds and I am sure this will be one of your favorite rides,again,well done.Could you show some more pictures of the details of your dual hand and foot clutch.Thanks,Tom.
PreviousNext

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"